3rd AG will be a hoppy US IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poshlloyd

Reaction score
Just dry hopping my 2nd AG now. SG figures have worked out very close to what I was aiming for, and samples have all tasted great . . .so my confidence continues.
So much so I've just ordered all my stuff for AG no. 3 (which I'll brew Saturday).

Basically a scaled down version of Jai Alai by Cigar City Brewing :

4.5kg Marris Otter
250g Munich
250g Crystal (80 ebc)
100g Carapils

15g Ahtanum FWH
15g Amarillo FWH
25g Magnum 60 mins
25g Cascade 15 mins
25g Centennial 15 mins
25g Cascade 5 mins
15g Amarillo 5 mins
15g Ahtanum 5 mins

75g Simcoe Dry Hop 5 Days.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

FWH - First Wort Hopping

This means they are added to the wort before the boil and steeped.

Apparently allows some of the beta acids to be dissolved into the wort and not driven off by the boil.

Never tried it myself but I may give a go.

It will give me a 23l batch.
Abv approx 4.6%
Yeast is US05

This will be the first time I've tried first wort hopping. Ill see if it imparts anything perceivable.

Ingredients arriving today, so I can bottle my FV contents on Friday and brew Saturday!

looks great thats the kind of beer i like to brew and drink, but i dont tend to use those hops, but i will in future

Let us know how that hop thing goes. Recipe sounds good though. Can't say I've used those hops myself but am liking American hopped ales a lot!! Stout next brew for me though so it's ready as a festive beer.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is what I'm bottling Friday :

4.74 kg Marris Otter
.10 Carapils
.10 Rye Malt
.15 Crystal 80

25g Magnum 60 mins
25g Centennial 20 mins
25g Cascsde 15mins
25g simcoe 15mins
25g Amarillo 5mins

Dry hop
25g Cascade
25g simcoe
25g Amarillo

Mmmm

It's mentioned in John Palmer's (online) brewing book. Basically, the extra time that the hops get sitting at around 60-70c allows some of the volatile elements to be dissolved into the liquid without them being evaporated as on their own they have a very low flash point. It also gains you a small number of IBUs when bittering...

So, in short, hopefully more flavour and aroma.

Just throw your early addition hops in immediately when you begin heating the wort to boiling.

Latest posts

Back