beer flt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelseaking

Reaction score
Hi all I am fairly new to this I need some advice,i brewed a lager and kegged it but beer is flat I discovered a leak in the barrel where the co2 was escaping. I contacted my local brew shop for some advice on putting the lager into another barrel and he advised me to rekeg the lager into a non leaking barrel with 60grms of sugar a sachet full of lager yeast, I would like to know how much sediment do I transfer to the new barrel if any at all, any advice would be much appreciated.
many thanks:cheers:

Hi all I am fairly new to this I need some advice,i brewed a lager and kegged it but beer is flat I discovered a leak in the barrel where the co2 was escaping. I contacted my local brew shop for some advice on putting the lager into another barrel and he advised me to rekeg the lager into a non leaking barrel with 60grms of sugar a sachet full of lager yeast, I would like to know how much sediment do I transfer to the new barrel if any at all, any advice would be much appreciated.
many thanks:cheers:

The sediment will have a large amount of yeast in it. If you're going to add yeast from a sachet, then no need to deliberately transfer any sediment across. I think you'll need to at least re-hydrate the new yeast before adding it.

If this was something I was going to do I think I'd bung in at least 5g sugar/litre, 60g seems low to me but your brew shop person might know something I don't. I'd transfer some sediment (not a lot, some) & not add any yeast and I'd use some yeast nutrient since nutrients in the beer might have been used up.

You shouldn't need to add a sachet of yeast, that's juts a waste of money - there's already yeast in the beer. You shouldn't need any sediment either, there will be yeast suspended in the beer, but a little bit won't do any harm, and may speed things up a little.

These home brew shop people are often worryingly lacking in knowledge of their chosen area of business!

Saw this thread and initially thought the title was beer fit !

Got excited about a revolutionary weight loss program which involved drinking beer while sitting on a sofa. I could sell my road and mountain bikes and invest in more homebrew equipment to keep fit.

Alas when I read the thread I was a little disappointed. Sorry to hi-jack the thread, just tickled me :rofl:

Latest posts

Back