John Bull

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Nicol

Reaction score
Hi all

I did a John Bull one can kit & a bag of brewing sugar on the 24/7 been in the barrel now since done gravity reading both at the start & just now. Is this doing what it should? Is the colour ok? This is my 1st ever 1 can go.

image.jpg

now forgive me for been dense but is the Gravity reading 1.038 on the 1st reading & 1.010 on todays?

A 1 can kit, like you made usually comes in at around 3.5ABV% - 4 AVB%. There are ways to make 1 can kits stronger though. So your beer is going to be more like a pale ale than an IPA I think

How long has it been fermenting? At 1.012 it may have a little further to go. I would suggest checking again in a day or two to see if the reading gets any lower. It's best not to bottle until you are sure its not still fermenting - seeing no bubbles is not enough - take two readings a couple of days apart and only bottle when you are sure the hydrometer reading is not still dropping. A little patience now is better than cleaning up exploded bottles ;-)

I have had an extract kit take 3 weeks to ferment 'cause I didn't aerate the wort well enough when it went into the fermenter.

Struggling to see from the photo, but looks like you've made it up to 23L volume? Many of us never make it up to the kit instructions volume, but brew short to 20 or 21L to make a stronger/tastier brew.

The best bit of advice I've picked up is to leave it a bit longer if in doubt. Kit instructions seem to generally say around 7-10 days for the primary fermentation but leaving it 3 weeks doesn't do any harm and is sometimes needed for it to fully ferment.

This was my brew with John Bull IPA:

Brewed 23L 24/04/15 - 09/05/15 21c
Kit yeast + 1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1kg Youngs BE, 300g of honey
25g German Cascade hops, 20 min boil then tea and bag added to the FV for 14 days.
OG:1060 - FG:1011 with 1tsp sugar per 500ml bottle to prime about 6.7%.

This was (past tense) a cracking beer and I was very, very sorry to see it go but as with all the one can kits I've done they do need a tweak with extra fermentables and some hops for my taste. I've got a John Bull Yorkshire Bitter that I'll be bottling this week as I was running around too much at the weekend to do it but I've done this with MGJ Workhorse due to the hot weather.

My John Bull IPA was also brewed with 1kg Youngs BE, but to 22 litres. OG about 1045, down to 1012 at day 7, racked off and dry hopped with 25g Goldings and bottled on day 11 at FG 1012, and, after about six weeks in bottle, turned out to be a winner.

This was my brew with John Bull IPA:

Brewed 23L 24/04/15 - 09/05/15 21c
Kit yeast + 1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1kg Youngs BE, 300g of honey
25g German Cascade hops, 20 min boil then tea and bag added to the FV for 14 days.
OG:1060 - FG:1011 with 1tsp sugar per 500ml bottle to prime about 6.7%.

This was (past tense) a cracking beer and I was very, very sorry to see it go but as with all the one can kits I've done they do need a tweak with extra fermentables and some hops for my taste. I've got a John Bull Yorkshire Bitter that I'll be bottling this week as I was running around too much at the weekend to do it but I've done this with MGJ Workhorse due to the hot weather.

Did you add the hop tea at the start or after 14days? I think i just over hopped my St peters IPA or its infected. Either way its gushing out of the keg tap all over the garage floor.

Did you add the hop tea at the start or after 14days? I think i just over hopped my St peters IPA or its infected. Either way its gushing out of the keg tap all over the garage floor.
When I tap a new beer on my corny kegs for the first few times I usually vent some CO2 using the relief valve just in case the pressure has risen a lot due to secondary fermentation, over active carbonation, or sometimes when I force carbonate I forget if have already vented the excess. Saves a big splash back from the bottom of the glass and an unexpected beer shower. I can then just reset to serving pressure using the CO2 regulator.

If you are using the plastic pressure barrels, then I am not sure if you can do the same, and it will continue to gush until the presures drop. In that case I would recommend you use a BIG (3-5 litres) jug to collect the 90% foam and 10% beer and let it settle before pouring to a glass. :drink:

40 bottled lastr week 08/08/15 been left in spare room will move to garage tomorrow then play the waiting game

IMG_3834.jpg

Hi all thi has been in teh garage for 2 weeks now how longer should i leave it before trying one ?

Latest posts

Back