Wil's Wheaton Hefeweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochiburi

Reaction score
Brewed this one week before last: racked it to a corny at the weekend - smells more of bananas than cloves, already tastes good. Should be ready to drink in a week or two. :-)

23l Batch

3.2kg German wheat malt
1.5kg Bohemian Pilsner Malt
0.2kg Acidulated malt

30g Saaz Hops 3.4 a.a - 90mins
10g Saaz Hops - 30 mins

WLP300 yeast

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010

He's a member on our sister site HomeBrewTalk.

I tried to contact him more than once and could never get him to respond.

I know he's a brewer - seen a couple of vids of him with Brewing TV on youtube.

I did a label too....

WilsWheatonHefesmall.jpg

Brewed this one week before last: racked it to a corny at the weekend - smells more of bananas than cloves, already tastes good. Should be ready to drink in a week or two. :-)

23l Batch

3.2kg German wheat malt
1.5kg Bohemian Pilsner Malt
0.2kg Acidulated malt

30g Saaz Hops 3.4 a.a - 90mins
10g Saaz Hops - 30 mins

WLP300 yeast

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010

Does it mean 30g Hops are added AT or for 90 mins and then 10 gr for the last 30?

by the way... I don't know if you knew it but you said this one taste like banana... Well in Germany, when I was a teenager, it was in fashion to drink Hefeweizen mixed with Banana juice! And as grim as it may sound, it's delicious! (same as Cola-Hefe)

Does it mean 30g Hops are added AT or for 90 mins and then 10 gr for the last 30?
30g of Saaz hops at 3.4% Alpha Acids were added for the full 90 minutes of the boil, then 10g for the remaining 30 minutes.

That shorthand is quite common for hop additions the time generally refers to how long the hops are boiled (unless the recipe says steep/whirlpool or dry hop).

If the hops you use have different percentage of AA, and each harvest varies a little, you can use a program to calculate the correct weight of your hops to give approximately the same bittering effect. (I use beersmith)

As for banana juice, i have to say it sounds interesting, is it a "mix in the glass" thing or a specially brewed fruit beer?

30g of Saaz hops at 3.4% Alpha Acids were added for the full 90 minutes of the boil, then 10g for the remaining 30 minutes.

That shorthand is quite common for hop additions the time generally refers to how long the hops are boiled (unless the recipe says steep/whirlpool or dry hop).

If the hops you use have different percentage of AA, and each harvest varies a little, you can use a program to calculate the correct weight of your hops to give approximately the same bittering effect. (I use beersmith)

As for banana juice, i have to say it sounds interesting, is it a "mix in the glass" thing or a specially brewed fruit beer?

Thanks for that!

The banana juice thing is mix in the glass, about half half or to taste :) to be honest, I haven't had it for ages! Wonder if I'd still like it :D

ochiburi can I ask a quick question. My understanding is that much of the taste in this style comes with the yeast in the glass ie you swirl the end of the bottle as you pour to get it cloudy.
How does this transfer to a keg dispense? Does the beer go clearer ? I know you can get these on tap but just wondering what the difference is.

thanks,
C

Back