Ready to rack to a corny,gelitan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcraig

Reaction score
My latest brews fermentation is just about finished,,,,( Young's lager kit)
My question is about adding gelitan to it after I've racked it to a corny prior to force carbing it
Is this worth doing?
Will it make much difference?
I'm not in any real hurry for the brew to be ready for anything,more interested if its worth doing for the clarity on the final product
Watched a few YouTube vids kinda turned my head ,emmm will I won't I?
Any advice welcome,

I use Irish Moss at the end of the boil for better clarity. If you haven't used that, gelatine is an option.

Thanks again McMullan for the advice,
I will look into the Irish moss for my next kit,the gelitine hasn't arrived in time for this kit now anyways,as I racked it to they corny last night,
But deffo thinking about dabbling with it,or as you've mentioned the irish moss for my next attempt

It's something I'm currently looking into for my all grain brewing as I read a good article here:

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

Looks like bigcraig is using a one can lager kit (Youngs Harvest?), which are normally pretty clear anyway so I'd guess the results would be minimal.

Also, personally, I definitely wouldn't use it in the corny as it'll drop sediment and cornys are bottom pick up.

I'll save it for my AG brewing in primary or secondary.

As far as I know, you could add it any time after kegging, but at least a few days before serving.

Baggybill, any unstuck sediment usually comes out in the first pint or two. A good cold crash helps it settle and stick to the bottom of the keg :cool:

I quickly got "lazy" and do all these additions at casking. I.e. the gelatine (Kwikclear in my case) and the priming sugar goes into the Cornie at the same time.

Carbonation still takes place despite the yeast having to fight back against the finings trying to get it out of suspension (perhaps carbonation does become a bit slower?). If force carbing it's not an issue is it.

And all my cornies are modified by having the ends of the outlet wand plugged with a bit of o-ring (old one from lid) and a hole drilled through it 20-30mm up. I thought everyone did this? Or at least shortened the wand. "No" it seems.

Should say.... drilling a stainless steel wand requires a cobalt (hard) drill, and a bit of a "jig" to keep the wand in one place while drilling. The alternative is mangled wand!

I quickly got "lazy" and do all these additions at casking. I.e. the gelatine (Kwikclear in my case) and the priming sugar goes into the Cornie at the same time.

Carbonation still takes place despite the yeast having to fight back against the finings trying to get it out of suspension (perhaps carbonation does become a bit slower?). If force carbing it's not an issue is it.

And all my cornies are modified by having the ends of the outlet wand plugged with a bit of o-ring (old one from lid) and a hole drilled through it 20-30mm up. I thought everyone did this? Or at least shortened the wand. "No" it seems.

Thanks for the input,I seen a vid on YouTube where a guy cut a small section off the bottom of the wand tube for his cornies he reckoned this helped to prevent the pick up of the extra sediment caused by using gelitan,
Thought that was a bit drastic myself tbh,
This is the second Young's lager kit I'm having a go at but the first one where ive tried the force carbing,
This first one I did was in a normal 5gal barrel and it was very clear wen I came to indulge it
So will see how this one turns out in the cornie force carbed without the gelitan
Big learning curve this home brewing

Latest posts

Back