Spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bardude

Reaction score
Hi guys, been reading on here a while now and posted once before and got some good help. Made a nice drinkable real ale. I have just started my second brew, and extract kit after reading I thought it was a good idea to use spray malt and sugar so I went 700g sugar and 500g spray. Og is 1060 so looks good. Now for the question, while clearing up I noticed I used the wrong packet and the one I used is for ale / bitter and the kit is a pilsner. Will it be ruined?

It'll just be different. What exactly has gone in the beer?

A basic pilsner kit from wilko 700g brewing sugar 500g spray malt medium

It'll probably come out like a light ale. That's my guess. Let us know!

Have you any hops to add to it?

Not at the min, I have been reading up on dry hopping in stage 2. Fancy recommending one?

Not at the min, I have been reading up on dry hopping in stage 2. Fancy recommending one?

You have made quite a decent pale ale here and this would probably support almost any English hop as a dry addition. A very short list:

Cascade
East Kent Goldings
First Gold
Bramling Cross
Challenger

People use very different amounts like 15 to 100g. Try about 25g see what it does. Depends on the hop too, some are more potent than others.

Oi Slid. Lookin for an argument? ;-)

Hell, no!
A man's gotta know his limitations :-D.

Seriously, adding any sort of hops to a kit as a hop tea, dry hop, mini boil is a great idea and is worth experimenting with.

So ended up just using first gold as I didn't get round to splitting, bottled 2 weeks ago after batch priming. Tasted today, it's actually turned out really nice can really taste the hops I went for 5 days at 25g

Latest posts

Back