Philistine alert

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-os

Landlord.
Reaction score
right,, at the risk of being thought a right philistine or worse:-

I am a confirmed lager/pilsner lout... well maybe not the lout bit but you get my drift. Mainly because i grew up in sunny climes in the southern hemisphere

When it comes to food and drink i will try most things but have generally not enjoyed "english beer".... when i was still a serious drinker i was disgusted by the commercial milds & bitters, and the "real ale" crowd of the 80's put me off the idea of ever going there ( no offence if you were in the "real ale crowd" in the 80's, but you came across as a right bunch of ........s that i would cross the town to avoid :-D )

However I do like a good guinness so not a total loss lol

now I am looking for something different I might enjoy... but have no real idea of where to start, there are so many small breweries out there these days.

I am guessing a pale ale may suit my palate? Any suggestions from the more knowledgeable or more lager oriented gurus?

yes I could go and raid a supermarket, but could be buying chemical hell, and that's something I hate doing... not from the money perspective per se, but because i am wasting time with something that you would only use in wasp traps... and worse i mught like while there are far better brews out there

once i find what i like i can then look to brew something :-D:cheers:

ps 1l of fiery ginger beer is a but much lol... feeling the love:-P

right,, at the risk of being thought a right philistine or worse:-

I am a confirmed lager/pilsner lout... well maybe not the lout bit but you get my drift. Mainly because i grew up in sunny climes in the southern hemisphere

When it comes to food and drink i will try most things but have generally not enjoyed "english beer".... when i was still a serious drinker i was disgusted by the commercial milds & bitters, and the "real ale" crowd of the 80's put me off the idea of ever going there ( no offence if you were in the "real ale crowd" in the 80's, but you came across as a right bunch of ........s that i would cross the town to avoid :-D )

However I do like a good guinness so not a total loss lol

now I am looking for something different I might enjoy... but have no real idea of where to start, there are so many small breweries out there these days.

I am guessing a pale ale may suit my palate? Any suggestions from the more knowledgeable or more lager oriented gurus?

yes I could go and raid a supermarket, but could be buying chemical hell, and that's something I hate doing... not from the money perspective per se, but because i am wasting time with something that you would only use in wasp traps... and worse i mught like while there are far better brews out there

once i find what i like i can then look to brew something :-D:cheers:

ps 1l of fiery ginger beer is a but much lol... feeling the love:-P

I will be honest with you my shift from lager was a chance that I got a bottle of hobgoblin which is well pretty different!

But If you're looking for a more subtle transition you could try pale ale or some Golden blonde ales perhaps. If you're going to a super market stick to the bottled sections Look at a few I dunno Badgers possibly something Like Bombardier burning Gold.. These are lighter ales perhaps less intrusive?

Supermarket only for ideas covrich, as they have a wide selection. And most of the pubs round here only do the usual suspects .. I'll give those a go and see how I get on:cheers:

Here's a suggestion, why not order one of MyQul's Hop Taster packs and put them into a bland beer (I'm gonna use Grolsch mainly because the bottles are great to re-use) and see how it affects the beer. That will give you an idea of how the hops affect the beer and maybe give you a few ideas of your own.

English style ales that would make a gentle transition IMO
Old Golden Hen, Marstons New World, Marstons EPA, Badger Golden Glory, Adnams Ghost Ship, Adnams Explorer, Hobgoblin Gold, Sharps Atlantic
Or look at American Pales or IPAs probably most common you will find in supermarket are
Goose Island or Sierra Nevada both good beers
An even more intermediate step would be a 'craft' or dry hopped lager which tend to be somewhere between a golden ale and a normal lager
Hope you find something you like and expand your beer palate!

English style ales that would make a gentle transition IMO
Old Golden Hen, Marstons New World, Marstons EPA, Badger Golden Glory, Adnams Ghost Ship, Adnams Explorer, Hobgoblin Gold, Sharps Atlantic
Or look at American Pales or IPAs probably most common you will find in supermarket are
Goose Island or Sierra Nevada both good beers
An even more intermediate step would be a 'craft' or dry hopped lager which tend to be somewhere between a golden ale and a normal lager
Hope you find something you like and expand your beer palate!

I'd agree with HisDudeness here :hat:
i'm primarily a lager drinker this time of year, if you want transition the suggestions above are spot on. I like my golden pale ale's slightly chilled but not freezing, that way you still get the taste but in a cold refreshing way, rather than warm beer

One other thought on this would be to try one of the light coloured Belgian ales, like Duvel or Leffe Blonde. They have a richer flavour but still plenty of fizz. Both can be drunk chilled and will give you an idea of a different beer style.

I'd agree with HisDudeness here :hat:
i'm primarily a lager drinker this time of year, if you want transition the suggestions above are spot on. I like my golden pale ale's slightly chilled but not freezing, that way you still get the taste but in a cold refreshing way, rather than warm beer

Good point about the serving temp Duffman, obviously getting bottles means you can chill in fridge at home for a more lager like serve as opposed to relatively warm serving temps at pubs. I think this is a big reason many lager drinkers are initially put off ales especially at this time of year!

Please refrain from using bad language as it may offend some members, also i would like to remind everyone ladies use this forum,language of this nature will not be tolerated :nah:

Regards

Steve

Belgian ales, like Duvel or Leffe Blonde. They have a richer flavour but still plenty of fizz. Both can be drunk chilled and will give you an idea of a different beer style.

I think i have drunk both of these at some time... probably in Belgium..not seen them here tho

Thanks Chaps... should take me a little while to work through that lot

temperature is everything... hate warm or over cold... too cold just kills all the taste, but warm is just :sick:

Thanks for that i will have a look... I'm usually not allowed in supermarkets, (cos i see too many things i like, she says it adds £40 to a shop :lol:) so dont see what they have on offer

picked up hobgoblin gold, Old Golden Hen, Sierra nevada and goose island today

I am calling this research...:drink: her indoors calls it something unprintable :whistle:

:grin:now which one first:grin:

I think you made four good choices there. I was going to suggest a trip to Aldi, where they sell a range of ales for £1.25 each, and I'm a Goose Island fan. Goose Island is a big leap away from lagers though!

Aldi has Hobgoblin, Hobgoblin Gold (Citra hops), Old Golden Hen (Galaxy hops), and some other very British ales you could try. Cockerhoop (very pale), Cumberland ale, (quite pale), Black Sheep ale (darker, but very tasty).

You beat me to it clibit, Aldi, Lidl they all do a really good range of ales for 1.25 a bottle or so, it's a great way to switch brew. I only came over to ales earlier this year and I have to say the one that sold me was the Marstons Pedigree but now I love shopping around. They also do the selection boxes for around about the same price that will give you a broad spectrum. Being a lager drinker maybe try chilling the ales down before drinking them I think you'll quite enjoy them.

Like the OP I'm very much a lager drinker (no need to apologise as far as I;m concerned!).

If you are looking for something a bit different I would defo try a few IPA's. M&S have a guest IPA called Southwold Summer IPA which I think is pretty damn good, well worth a try.

research continues.... but I may have found a new best friend...yes I know I could go at all 4 in one shot but want to savour and explore the aroma and taste

Covrich ... I owe you a beer :cheers: (and anyone else that suggested it :mrgreen:)

Hobgoblin gold is quite something :thumb::thumb:

Old golden hen I found little too much, "grassy" i think would be the description? reminiscent of damp cut grass? Nice enough and I would not turn it down but would not be a go too beer i don't think

still got the APA's to try but this i could get to really like.... now how do I brew something similar? :-D

Latest posts

Back