Corny help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks ok. You will need gas line too. Reg seems a bit steep at £50, Maltmiller do them for £30.

The tap comes with a disconnect so you only need one the grey connection but that's a great price for the tap, hose and disconnect.

I've ordered this regulator but I'm taking a bit of a risk. I've asked questions about it in the Q&A and some people have reassured me it will be OK. Distat selling regulations means I can send it back if it's not fit for purpose. The Malt Miller has a regulator for £30 that will definitely work (it's expensive for postage to NI and why I never ordered)

Beer/ gas line is pretty cheap delivered but you will need it along with hose clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a cheaper tap, hose and disconnect further down the page you gave with free delivery?

Thanks for those Ebay links, I'm in the process of setting up a keg system myself. I refuse to accept Paypal's T&C so don't use Ebay but I'll get my wife or daughter to buy for me.

is this bottle ok
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/UP-Aqua-1L-CO2-aluminium-Cylinder-Gas-with-side-outflow-/111714398642?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202351%2526meid%253D5cac988e7b3e4b809983e7915a05aaf7%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D5%2526rkt%253D23%2526sd%253D291501990451&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Hi Alside101, CO2 seems the most difficult to source. Just reading the description and the bottle is empty so you will have to get it filled.

Unfortunately I can't help you find a source as my bottle was supplied by a friend.

Welding supplies usually have bottles but some won't supply unless your trade or else charge a hefty deposit. From what I understand, home brewers only require a refill every year or so so it's uneconomical for them to supply us. Hopefully someone else will help you.

I do the same as what YeastFace has suggested. More cost effective to let the sugar source the carbing than pure gas. Also, Argos often do discounts, so my last soda stream cylinder swap only cost £7 :)

There's a cheaper tap, hose and disconnect further down the page you gave with free delivery?

Thanks for those Ebay links, I'm in the process of setting up a keg system myself. I refuse to accept Paypal's T&C so don't use Ebay but I'll get my wife or daughter to buy for me.

I went for this listing and got a diosconnect, tap, and about 50cm of line betwene the two

Is this site any good, prices seem great but mainland only:

http://www.gas-uk.co.uk/online-shop/rent-free-gas-cylinders/

Thay do look good prices. What do i get the is says 70/30 50/50 60/40
I have no idea what it means.

Also carbing with sugar will leave sediment wont it. Id like to be able to take it about to friends houses and stuff

I was going to use finings to clear then force carb

Thanks for the info guys. Its nice to het help on this stuff i
Alex

Thay do look good prices. What do i get the is says 70/30 50/50 60/40
I have no idea what it means.

Also carbing with sugar will leave sediment wont it. Id like to be able to take it about to friends houses and stuff

I was going to use finings to clear then force carb

Thanks for the info guys. Its nice to het help on this stuff i
Alex
Those numbers I think are for mixed gas ie 70/30 will be the percentage of nitrogen/carbon dioxide. You want 100% co2. If you syphon your beer carefully, and you have left it a good couple of weeks in the fv followed by a few more in the corny, you probably won't need finings - the beer should have settled nicely.

You will probably get some sediment but if you pull off a couple of half pints that should be enough to suck up any settled sediment,if you have waited long enough for all the sediment to clear to the bottom after the first pint or so should be able to you move your keg and the beer should stay clear

Those numbers I think are for mixed gas ie 70/30 will be the percentage of nitrogen/carbon dioxide. You want 100% co2. If you syphon your beer carefully, and you have left it a good couple of weeks in the fv followed by a few more in the corny, you probably won't need finings - the beer should have settled nicely.

If i did use finings will it change the taste at all. Will it be better to leave to clear on its own?

Also i have baught a corny just waiting on it like a kid at Christmas hehe

I prefer to use them, adds slightly to the cost but they are a 100% guaranteed seal.

my 2p's worth ;)

go for standard co2 not mixed gas. i get my c02 from air liquid agents, https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...wYOTd1RyXYDb_AHSg&sig2=PArdu5ZtS4QX84mSdNFtAA

the closest to me cts witney wants a £50 bottle deposit and the £22 ish per refill, andover patio centre will give you the bottle deposit free... there should be a co2 suppliers thread, but your looking at £15-£25 per refill and upto £50 deposit.

buying your own bottle or using a non standard bottle (fire extinguisher) isnt worth the hassle imho as you are then responsible for safety checks and keeping it upto date, and if you do choose that route ensure you have someone to fill it lined up before you spend cash also beware most bottles you can buy 2nd hand probably belong to a brewery or mainstream supplier so could get taken off you if you take it to a legitimate supplier..

I am not sure how you would get gas in and beer out without the disconnects,
I have found that I also needed 3/8, 3/16 and 5/16 tubing and some john guest fittings, mainly straight coupling reducers so the different diameter size tubing can be connected between each other and the disconnects and beer taps. Don't forget the jubilee clips to clamp the tube to taps, disconnects and the regulator

Latest posts

Back