Leaking tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeygirl1971

Reaction score
I'm on my third brew & I have noticed a leak in the seal between the tap & barrel, I tightened it up again but still leaks once pressure has built. The beer has been in there just over a week. I have read that you can take the tap off & re-seal but as the beer has been fermenting a while will this cause issues, should I add more sugar or co2 afterward? Any advice very welcome! Thanks ;-)

you should be able to tip the pb up so the tap is at the top, unscrew, wrap with a shed load of ptfe and refit, if quick no more than a squirt of co2 should be needed..

The leak can often be from the washer on the front of the barrel. I usually salvage the situation by smearing some vaseline on the washer both sides. Obviously you will need to take the tap off to do that. It can get distorted sometimes (the washer) and may just need rearranging.

After taking off the tap you can do as Fil says above and inject some co2, but you can also re-prime with sugar and it will build pressure up again in about three of four days.

I would only put Vaseline on the tap side or you'll be inviting more problems. PTFE tap is only designed to fill the gap between two contacts of metal, I'm not sure of its food safe rating either.
Just my opinions :cheers:

Thanks for the replies, I removed the tap & descovered it was split, something I presume was there from the start but got worse over time (note to self: check the tap closely before each use). Thankfully I got a spare barrel a couple of weeks ago so took the tap off that, popped in some more sugar & hopefully that will do the job. If no pressure in a couple of days I may pop in a bit of co2 to see if that will revive it. Fingers crossed! ;-)

I had a cracked tap a few months back. I think I may have banged it on something when lumbering a full barrel around the house. They aren't exactly well made really. Pretty fragile.

I would only put Vaseline on the tap side or you'll be inviting more problems. PTFE tap is only designed to fill the gap between two contacts of metal, I'm not sure of its food safe rating either.
Just my opinions :cheers:

fwiw ptfe is both food and heat safe its what nonstick pans are made of aka teflon..

Thanks for the replies, I removed the tap & descovered it was split, something I presume was there from the start but got worse over time (note to self: check the tap closely before each use). Thankfully I got a spare barrel a couple of weeks ago so took the tap off that, popped in some more sugar & hopefully that will do the job. If no pressure in a couple of days I may pop in a bit of co2 to see if that will revive it. Fingers crossed! ;-)

This seems to be a common problem. I had one similar recently.
Usually it is because they cut the thread too deep.

if lubing washers be careful they do not get forced out of position as you tighten.

Yes, it's easy to over-tighten taps. I've learned to get them 'just' tight, very small amount of resistance otherwise as Dad's Ale says the washer distorts. Same applies to the lids.

Yeah, I've had a leaky tap all summer (what a mess it made!) However I thnk that was due to overpressure.

I'm wondering about the practicality of installing a stainless tap, but the small aperture on my 2" barrel would make it a bit hard, although not impossible to do.

then again, I've just picked up two cornies, so hopefully stuff should be trouble free!

Well all appeared to be going well until I got home from work today to find it leaking again, took the replacement tap off & this one has split as well... I won't usher the words here that come out of my mouth with that discovery!
As I have no spare I have put the tap back in & kept it on its side until the replacement arrives, very miffed indeed, do you think I'm tightening it up to much in the first place? Any advise as always very welcome.

if you can ID the thread, I am sure its a standard bsp thread or very near, get a reducing bush with a 1/2" bsp hole and fit a dalex style tap, its a great upgrade for a PB and will improve the pour..

I dont know the size but its probably a 3/4" bsp thread?? so http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/3...907cVqOAl39mFinX2nCQlhoCRQvw_wcB#.VeYiIfZViko
might work
check with the table here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe#Pipe_thread_sizes

taps appear on ebay like ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-cide...pump-cooler-/301201823189?hash=item46210715d5
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dalex-Beer-Pump-Font-Head-Tap-/262028244914?hash=item3d0219b7b2

use ptfe tape to ensure a seal and forget tap problems ;)

It's a standard 5 gallon ballihoo PB, not sure of the size of tap as yet so will have to check. looks a good idea Fil & will give it a try if all sizes correct, not sure if I would get away with a major leak in the new extension if it leaks a lot next time, so fingers crossed it would save me from possible earache in future! :rofl:

Latest posts

Back