Topping up after racking?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyral210

Brewing like a mad scientist
Reaction score
Ok, I'm making my first wine kit in years and need some advice.

I have a Beaverdale kit fermenting now in a demijohn which is going fine, but in a week I need to rack it to the second container. Now, I have heard in the secondary demijohn the wind should go right up to the neck, but I do not have enough wine for this.

What do I do? Do I get some grape juice, a bottle of wine, or just leave that big gap filled with air...

If you are only racking to the second DJ for clearing and you plan to bottle soon after i wouldn't worry about it.

I use KwiK clear finings which take a couple of days to clear it and i usually bottle within a few days of it clearing, i wouldn't worry about the head space unless you plan to leave it for several weeks.

As it's a wine kit I have all the finings. So just rack, apply the finings, and bottle a week or two later?

Certainly on the Selection kits if you are leaving the wine in demijohns for a while to mature and you have to much of a gap (more than 2 inches) there is a risk of oxidation and they say top of with 'a similar wine' to try and prevent this

The amount of oxygen in a few inches of airspace is insignificant. Slow oxidation actually improves the flavour. The rate is so slow in large barrels that the wine is periodically racked in order to introduce oxygen.

Latest posts

Back