single / step infusion mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
Excuse me if this is basic knowledge.

I have been looking at the recipes on the speidel website and because they are written for use with the braumeister they use step infusion mash but sth like 5 steps or more.

What would happen if I ignored the steps and was to do it in a single infusion? How would that change the taste or would it be just as easy to add the grains step by step at different temperatures while the water is heading up on the hob?

It wouldn't change the taste as far as I know however it will affect the body of the finished beer and your mash efficiency won't be the same as the one in the recipe.

DA

It wouldn't change the taste as far as I know however it will affect the body of the finished beer and your mash efficiency won't be the same as the one in the recipe.

DA

Okay thanks. Would it be easy to apply when you just have a hob or too much hassle given that the original recipe has not only two steps but like 5 or 6.

You can, the problem comes from heating a large volume of liquid accurately on a hob.
HERMs and RIMs systems are usually used to allow stepped mashes but you can do it by adding hotter water to the mash as you go along (start with a thicker mash and gradually dilute it as you add the steps).

I used to do this but nowadays I mash for 8+ hours while I'm at work for the sheer convenience!
DA

You can, the problem comes from heating a large volume of liquid accurately on a hob.
HERMs and RIMs systems are usually used to allow stepped mashes but you can do it by adding hotter water to the mash as you go along (start with a thicker mash and gradually dilute it as you add the steps).

I used to do this but nowadays I mash for 8+ hours while I'm at work for the sheer convenience!
DA

What do you mean for 8hours plus!? :O That must be one tasty beer!

Google overnight mash. I do that but during the daytime while I'm at work.

Basically mash in at 8am, go to work, sparge at 6pm once I'm back home. I have a thermopot mashtun that loses only 1C over that period but effectively any mashtun or time period is ok as long as the wort doesn't drop below 50C (when it becomes susceptible to infections)

DA

What do you mean for 8hours plus!? :O That must be one tasty beer!

I'm an overnight masher too. After about 2 hours any potential conversion in the grain from starch to sugars will have occured. Anything after this 2 hour period is just the mash waiting for you to get back to it to sparge and boil

Back