Hops..........do you??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beechwood

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anyone grow their own hops? I'm quite interested in getting a couple of vines sometime. What varieties do you grow and where do you get them from?

Cheers

You can buy seeds and plants on ebay. Mines are still at the seedling stage we'll have to wait and see
if they'll survive until next year as they wont be producing anything this year

on a similar theme... how much hops can you expect per mature plant ( i appreciate that species will vary hugely) I guess the question is how many brews can you expect per plant... or vice versa?

I quite often find hop seeds in my wort. Is it worth collecting a few from packeted hops and trying to grow
them? I know they would take ages to mature, and I'd also have to weed out the male plants.... Probably not worth the bother considering that the rhizomes aren't expensive.

The pictures Darren posted of them looked really nice.

Many thanks,

A mere £100 per gram if you're interested?
Discount for forum members obvs.

On a serious note, really quite easy to grow. Although this is my first attempt, I think if you're reasonably green fingered you will have success.
Pick a variety you can accommodate and you will be well away I reckon.

I quite often find hop seeds in my wort. Is it worth collecting a few from packeted hops and trying to grow
them? I know they would take ages to mature, and I'd also have to weed out the male plants.... Probably not worth the bother considering that the rhizomes aren't expensive.

As far a I know (which isn't much) hops don't grow true from seed. Which means that if you were to grow from seed they wouldn't necessarily match the attribute of the mother plant. It's always best to get plants from a cutting or a split rhizome.
Tbh, just buy one for £6/£8, it's an ok price, and they are cool to grow.
Can't wait to brew with my own.

As far a I know (which isn't much) hops don't grow true from seed. Which means that if you were to grow from seed they wouldn't necessarily match the attribute of the mother plant. It's always best to get plants from a cutting or a split rhizome.
Tbh, just buy one for £6/£8, it's an ok price, and they are cool to grow.
Can't wait to brew with my own.

Yes I agree with you Darren about the price and pointlessness of messing about with the seeds. I didn't know they wouldn't come true to the mother plant though. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back