Confused!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewed on Tuesday, beer has been sitting in the fridge at 19 degrees since then.

Thought I'd draw a sample to see how it's getting on, the hydrometer shows 1.046, exactly the same as what it started at!

There is a nice layer on top of the beer, and tasting the sample does not taste as sweet as the wort did, so I'm not sure what it going on with it. Doesn't taste very nice to be fair but this is in the middle of fermentation.

Using the same hydrometer and sample jar as when I took the sample before adding the yeast.

Going to leave it now until Tuesday again before checking again, just wondering why it reads the same as before I added the yeast.

Edit on further tasting I'm getting the dreaded sulphur/struck match taste that has affected some of my brews before, so this one is not looking too good. Think I need to take a look at my yeast practices as I don't want to keep chucking beer away.

Brewed on Tuesday, beer has been sitting in the fridge at 19 degrees since then.

Thought I'd draw a sample to see how it's getting on, the hydrometer shows 1.046, exactly the same as what it started at!

There is a nice layer on top of the beer, and tasting the sample does not taste as sweet as the wort did, so I'm not sure what it going on with it. Doesn't taste very nice to be fair but this is in the middle of fermentation.

Using the same hydrometer and sample jar as when I took the sample before adding the yeast.

Going to leave it now until Tuesday again before checking again, just wondering why it reads the same as before I added the yeast.

Edit on further tasting I'm getting the dreaded sulphur/struck match taste that has affected some of my brews before, so this one is not looking too good. Think I need to take a look at my yeast practices as I don't want to keep chucking beer away.

Can you raise the temperature a bit? Say to 21 or 22c it might not help but its got to be worth a go.

Have raised the temp as well as added some more yeast, might not do anything but worth a shot.

Hydrometer is pretty accurate, have tested it again and no change in how it reads.

Did you mix your wort up thourghly? I tested OG of a brew once with my new sample jar - 1030!! Wtf! I was tempted to meddle but my instinct was leave it be. It came out fine, I'd just not mixed the wort completely. I'm sure yours will be fine. What do you sanitise with?

Rob.

I use starsan.

The original sample was taken while draining the boiler, and the sample today was taken with a turkey baster.

Strange, like you say prob best leaving until ute and check again, I was wondering if you use VWP as it can linger if not rinsed thourghly.
Fingers crossed for Tue then :hat:

Back