Night - Talk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A bit late posting, it's not complete yet so thought i'd post it here:

brew 11: night - talk

01/08/2015 Brewed

did overnight no-chill

yeast (safebrew abbaye) rehydrated and pitched at 25 deg C

02/08/2015 in FV

250g chocolate malt
500g crystal
3kg DME - dark
500g DME - Wheat
450g black treacle
500g dark candi sugar

1.073 - 22 litres 8% est abv

40g admiral 15min boil

22/08/2015

1.014 = 7.75%

burnt red-fruit & dark rum sherry like notes. perfect for xmas:p

29/08/2015 - needs more carbonation which is strange because 7 days normally sorts it for my beers. will give it 7 more days at 22 deg . c.

Hi Dad of John

I would leave this 2 weeks in the Primary FV
Then a further spell in a secondary FV.
You do not want much yeast deposit in a beer you want to drink in 3-4 months time.

Hope it turns out well for you.

I've given up on no chill, and I've given up on Admiral. I've had three very astringent brews - sharp after-taste - not great to pt it mildly. I was using 20g Admiral @ 60 minutes and my no-chill technique meant it took about 24 hours to cool to 30C. These brews had other hops of various sorts, but all of the brews had a nasty sharp bitterness. One brew that had no Admiral - cooked in the same way was lovely so I am not going to use that hop again.

I have a cooler now and did an IPA with EKG last week. It is a small brew of 10 litres.... I wish I'd made 10 litre brews with those other ones - a waste of time and material they were I think. If the new brew turns out good and I think it will, I'll be happy.

I notice that you used Admiral here but only boiled it for 15 minutes.... You know something I don't I think.

Hope it turns out well for you.

I've given up on no chill, and I've given up on Admiral. I've had three very astringent brews - sharp after-taste - not great to pt it mildly. I was using 20g Admiral @ 60 minutes and my no-chill technique meant it took about 24 hours to cool to 30C. These brews had other hops of various sorts, but all of the brews had a nasty sharp bitterness. One brew that had no Admiral - cooked in the same way was lovely so I am not going to use that hop again.

I have a cooler now and did an IPA with EKG last week. It is a small brew of 10 litres.... I wish I'd made 10 litre brews with those other ones - a waste of time and material they were I think. If the new brew turns out good and I think it will, I'll be happy.

I notice that you used Admiral here but only boiled it for 15 minutes.... You know something I don't I think.

Best wishes with your brew. Time and space are tight for me. I spam my beer with more hops for less time than traditional methods. They've all come out better and cheaper than most stuff on the supermarket shelves. Even the beers I had at the Swansea bay beer festival were - meh, except for the celt ogham oak & waun's snowball.

15 min boil used cos I mainly use dme as a time & space saver. It works well for me with the no-chill :-)

Hi Dad of John

I would leave this 2 weeks in the Primary FV
Then a further spell in a secondary FV.
You do not want much yeast deposit in a beer you want to drink in 3-4 months time.

It had 3 weeks in the primary, then bottling bucket and I think I have around 2.3 volumes of co 2 due to the longer brew length but I prefer around 3.0 as a rule. there is very little yeast in the bottles, the safbrew abbaye ferments and flocculates very quickly :eek:

It is lush and 'thicker' than my usual brews, but co2 apart pretty much what I was looking for :-)

can I keep away from it at least until the clocks go back? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back