All Grain Ingredients on the way - Now what?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've ordered 4kg of Maris Otter, 100g of EKG and 100g of Summit Hops from The Home Brew Company.

The idea is to do a couple of small scale SMaSH brews to hone my skills and learn about the ingredients from a brewers perspective. My first thought was to do a mash for a 10l batch, then split the wort in half and do two different boils with the two hops, however that's more than likely a recipe for disaster as from experience my mind goes blank when I overload my tiny brain with too much of a new thing!! So, I'm going to go really simple and do two separate 5l batches first time round.

The simplest thing to do would be to follow the advice given on Clibit's Simple AG thread for both batches. My question to you more experienced brewers is, if I follow the recipe on this thread, will the two hops I use produce significantly different beers?

Ideally I'd like to produce two beers with different characteristics; a malty beer with one batch and a more hop forward brew with the other. My guess is the Summit would be more suited to the hop forward beer, but that's kind of based on nothing more than a guess at the moment :-)

Yeast will be Safale US-05. Any suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated, however I'd like to use the same yeast with both batches.

I'd appreciate any help with perhaps tinkering (or not) with Clibit's basic recipe to meet my needs!

Cheers

Splitting the wort in half before the boil is not a big deal. A 5 litre brew might be easier to mash though, depending on your equipment.

The two hops will produce pretty different beers. US05 will be fine for both.

If you want one brew more malt forward than the other I'd suggest doing two 5L brews and mashing at two different temps.
I'd mash one at 66C. Which is the usual 'average' mash temp this will give you the more drier beer and I would use the summit for this one. Giving a more US style pale ale. And I would mash the second one at 69C This will give you the more malty beer and I would use the EKG for this one giving you a more English style pale ale (if you had some crystal you could make a classic English bitter).
It's only 3C difference but it will make a noticable difference. 69C is right at the top end of the used mash temps. I usually mash at this temp as I like thick chewy beers

My equipment is basically some large stock pots and fermenting vessels. I'm saving up for a mash tun, however for this batch I will mash in my stock pot. I had very little temperature loss with hour long mashes on my recent small batch brews, so I'm going to stick with what I've got for the time being

I think I'll do two separate comparative brews of two 5l batches first, then perhaps do a larger 10 litre batch on another occasion, using the remaining Maris Otter and perhaps mixing the two hops together!

Thanks for your response :thumb:

If you want one brew more malt forward than the other I'd suggest doing two 5L brews and mashing at two different temps.
I'd mash one at 66C. Which is the usual 'average' mash temp this will give you the more drier beer and I would use the summit for this one. Giving a more US style pale ale. And I would mash the second one at 69C This will give you the more malty beer and I would use the EKG for this one giving you a more English style pale ale (if you had some crystal you could make a classic English bitter).
It's only 3C difference but it will make a noticable difference. 69C is right at the top end of the used mash temps. I usually mash at this temp as I like thick chewy beers

That's really interesting to know. I was thinking the EKG would be more appropriate for the malty brew, but the increased mash temp to bring out malt flavours is the type of info that I'm looking for! In all honesty, my mash temp is likely to be all over the place until I get the skill levels down. When I brewed my all grain Stove topper kit last week, the instructions were to get the strike temp at 75C to mash at 65. In reality the temp only got down to around 68 by the end of the mash, so I'll adjust strike temp based on that experience.

Thanks MyQul

That's really interesting to know. I was thinking the EKG would be more appropriate for the malty brew, but the increased mash temp to bring out malt flavours is the type of info that I'm looking for! In all honesty, my mash temp is likely to be all over the place until I get the skill levels down. When I brewed my all grain Stove topper kit last week, the instructions were to get the strike temp at 75C to mash at 65. In reality the temp only got down to around 68 by the end of the mash, so I'll adjust strike temp based on that experience.

Thanks MyQul

I use this strike temp calculator. I find it pretty accurate and never miss my stike temp by more than 1C

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html

Latest posts

Back