Washing Yeast Query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlentoranMark

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yesterday I bottled and kegged an Ale and Stout and washed and saved Safale 04 and an Irish Ale Yeast in my fridge. I plan on brewing next weekend but I'm wondering should I put a half a teaspoon of sugar into the bottles to feed the yeast?

First time I washed yeast it failed (or maybe I didn't give it enough time)

Definately wouldn't put a spoonful of sugar in with the yeast. I suspect it will damage cells. If you want to 'feed' yeast make some DME wort up (100g/1L gives 1.040 wort or there about and not to much/little for the yeast to handle)

Did you pitch the yeast straight from the fridge? You need to give it time to warm to room temp if you did.

Your not really supposed to wash yeast using water as that can damage the cells too. Your supposed to keep yeat under beer when in the fridge. Give the FV a swirl then leave for about 20 mins to let the big bits of break material settle out then pour about 400ml of the slurry into a recepticle (jar etc)

That's what I done, I didn't add any water (although I thought it.) I wasn't sure if the yeast needed "feeding". I've no DME and don't really see the point in buying any, if the pitching doesn't work it would be cheaper me buying some fresh yeast. I've now got a bottle each of Safale 04 and Irish Ale Yeast.

Yes, I know about pitching at room temperature.

Is it fine to go when I brew again? Is 400ml too much or not enough for a 20L brew?

Should be fine to re pitch from brew to up to about 6 times (although theres a thread on the forum where a forumite repitched 13 times). 400ml is around about what I re-pitch too.Anything from about 200ml-400ml really should work. Just go by trial and error and what has worked before.

Back