Newbie question alert!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmaxx

Reaction score
I've just bottled my first ever beer (coopers english bitter) so as I play the waiting game my thoughts have turned to my next brew! I have the youngs apa kit to start, and my question is regarding the priming sugar that came with the kit...

You can't add the priming sugar into the FV ready for bottling can you? I'm guessing that would kick up too much sediment right? I only have he one FV that came with my starter kit, so should I get another and syphon so I can batch prime or put the priming sugar into the bottles? If so, how much sugar per bottle? I have 500ml pet bottles .

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long winded question! :-D

I have found that it depends what yeast has been used, Nottingham is way more vigorous than Safale-04, but I tend to use a level teaspoon per 500ml bottle and it works awesome. I think the idea of measuring out all the sugar at once by batch priming it in a secondary is to ensure consistency but I like to treat my beers as individuals :P

Same as Rob, I'm finding that a heaped half tsp per 500ml PET for everything is working out well for me.

Oh. I didn't answer that question. Sorry :hat:

I use kitchen measuring spoons. Half teaspoon (2.5ml) measure for 500ml glass bottle. Scoop, drag straight spoon handle across, put into bottle with dry funnel.

Adding priming sugar to the FV is known as 'batch priming' I heat the sugar with about 200ml of water in a pan till it's melted then wait for 5 mins then carefully, so as no to get any air bubbles and oxidise the beer, pour the sugar solution into the beer. Ithen sanitise my long handled spoon and very slowly/carefully stir the sugar in trying not to disturb the sediment/trub at the bottom. I then wait 30 mins for the trub to settle out and then bottle

I batch prime in a separate fv, transferring to it is a bit of a pain.

The reason I batch prime isn't consistency, it's to make it possible to adjust the priming level depending on the style of beer which isn't really possible when priming each bottle.

I just put half a tea spoon of sugar in each bottle, I even gage it using a full size tea spoon and not had a problem. I think it is lazy ness.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I find this really useful. I like many others have a second fv that I pour the priming syrup into, then siphon my beer into it (making sure the end of the siphon tube is always submerged so as to keep as much oxygen out of the beer as possible). I then bottle from this fv with the aid of a bottling stick.

I've just bottled my first ever beer (coopers english bitter) so as I play the waiting game my thoughts have turned to my next brew! I have the youngs apa kit to start, and my question is regarding the priming sugar that came with the kit...

You can't add the priming sugar into the FV ready for bottling can you? I'm guessing that would kick up too much sediment right? I only have he one FV that came with my starter kit, so should I get another and syphon so I can batch prime or put the priming sugar into the bottles? If so, how much sugar per bottle? I have 500ml pet bottles .

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long winded question! :-D

I batch prime normally 80g plain white sugar dissolved into about half a pint of boiling water. I the chuck this in my bottling bucket and siphon the beer on top.

Back