Stout Priming and Bottling for Virgins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
I used the Brewer’s priming calculator (http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/) and worked out that I could use around 2g of sugar per 500ml bottle for priming my Cooper's Stout.

Not having primed anything before (other than my punch as per the recipe) I just wanted to run this by you guys to get confirmation I am using the calculator correctly.

Also do I simply bottle straight from the original FV or do I need to do anything else to the stout prior to bottling (transferring off the sediment and or aerating etc.).

To be honest I would prefer to batch prime but as all my large FVs are in use I am toying with the idea of perhaps decanting the stout from the original FV to a demijohn, batch priming the demijohn for 5 litres and then transferring to bottles from the DJ before repeating until all the stout it bottled - or is that just unnecessary faff?

What do you guys think? What would you do?

I'm only on my 4th brew and that is a stout. I sacrificed 3 bottles on the first brew with 2, 3 and 4g of brewing sugar in 500 ml PET bottles. The 3 g one feels like a good pressure squeezing the bottle the 2 g feels soft and I hope PET bottles can handle high pressure because the 4 g bottle is rock hard. I have bottled the rest of that at 3 g per bottle. As long as the yeast hasn't reached its alcohol tolerance it should eat all the dextrose so I expect 3 g to be good for ales but I think 2 g would be good for stout. I haven't opened any bottles yet because I want to condition them for at least a month. I would also be interested in other people's thoughts on the amount of carbonation needed for stout.

I assume you are bottling in 500ml bottles.

What I do is line my bottles up, in a box or laundry basket, sterilised and rinsed and get a ramekin or small bowl of sugar, a teaspoon and a small funnel.

Then half a teaspoon of sugar (T&L or even cheaper) in each bottle. With the ramekin in one hand and the spoon in the other, this is really easy and quick. IMO, this will give you even carbonation as your eyes are actually quite good at getting this consistent to + or - 10%.

I'm only on my 4th brew and that is a stout. I sacrificed 3 bottles on the first brew with 2, 3 and 4g of brewing sugar in 500 ml PET bottles. The 3 g one feels like a good pressure squeezing the bottle the 2 g feels soft and I hope PET bottles can handle high pressure because the 4 g bottle is rock hard. I have bottled the rest of that at 3 g per bottle. As long as the yeast hasn't reached its alcohol tolerance it should eat all the dextrose so I expect 3 g to be good for ales but I think 2 g would be good for stout. I haven't opened any bottles yet because I want to condition them for at least a month. I would also be interested in other people's thoughts on the amount of carbonation needed for stout.

PET bottles will survive a lot of pressure and are essentially non-destructible with normal use.

The alcohol tolerence of the modern kits yeasts is high enough that what is happening in the bottles is not so much eating the immediately available sugars, like dextrose, as the more complex, less fermentable sugars that will be present in a stout.

Side question - When you talk about 1 teaspoon on the forum do you always mean a level teaspoon or heaped?

I recently bottles my stout and followed Greg Hughes' guide of 4g per 500ml. Tastes good and nice head. I don't mind that much carbonation but I think I will try 3 on the new brew

Latest posts

Back