Wine Whip

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geofflukins

Reaction score
With the wine whip advertised on Amazon
ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Could anyone tell me if this is suitable for a 4.5l demijohn?

download.jpg

It would be a tight fit in a demijohn that size. When the wine whip spins the end flares out and may strike the glass, a big concern in glass containers.

If you look at the shape of mine and another members in the link above you'll see its not a problem.

If you look at the shape of mine and another members in the link above you'll see its not a problem.

Very interesting, I was thinking of the Fermtech pictured in the original post but yeah, if you're making your own I could see where you could keep it from beating up the sides of the demijohn.

Very interesting, I was thinking of the Fermtech pictured in the original post but yeah, if you're making your own I could see where you could keep it from beating up the sides of the demijohn.

Having looked again and on-line i cannot find out if it is for a Carboy or Demijohn, my home made coat hanger does a good job in my DJ and FV, so save some money and make one yourself. :thumb:

Chippy_Tea, I was under the impression that in the U.S. What we call carboys are referred to as Demijohns in Europe. Is this the case or am I mistaken?

In the U.S. What we call demijohns are large, 15 gallon, glass containers that are rounded on the bottom and as such must sit in a basket to keep from rolling around.

As I understand it, the popular assumption amongst most brewers is the definition of both is generally: a demijohn is the 5 litre (1 gallon) container and the carboy is the 23 litre (5 gallon) container, even in the UK - think I'm correct here?

Typical Modern Demijohn:
demi-378.jpg

Word Origin and History for demijohn:
n.
Probably by folk etymology from French dame-jeanne, from dame (lady) + Jeanne (Jane)

1769, partial translation and word-play from French damejeanne (late 17c.) "Lady Jane," term used for large globular wicker-wrapped bottle, perhaps because its shape suggested a stout woman in the costume of the period. A general Mediterranean word, with forms found in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Arabic.

Source: Dictionary.com

Typical Modern Carboy:
carboy-377.jpg

Word Origin and History for carboy:
1705-15; < Persian qarāba (h) < Arabic qarrābah big jug

Source: Dictionary.com

Designs of either may vary and both may be supplied with a basket.

Latest posts

Back