Plum Wine - 1st Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjam

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm part way through my first home brew, plum wine.

I followed the following recipe:

Clean the fruit. Throw out the bad bits
Cut the plums into large pieces. Without the stones, squish the plums a bit
with a potato masher or heavy spoon to bruise them.
Boil 3.5 pints of water and pour over the fruit. Leave to steep for several
hours or over night
Add the rest of the water and the enzyme.
Cover and leave for 3 days.
Strain it through a muslin bag into a pan and gently heat (don't boil).
This is just to help the sugar dissolve.
Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
Allow the liquid to cool to under 30C and add the yeast and nutrient. If you
put it in too hot, the yeast will die!
Pour it into the demijohn or bucket, add the airlock and leave it to ferment
at room temperature.
NB: You may need to rack this wine more than once to get rid of the
sediment.

My question to the community is when do I rack the wine? Its still bubbling away almost a week later in the demijohn. There is a brown layer on top and some sediment on the bottom but not a lot, no more than 1cm.

I have campden tablets and another demijohn ready for racking. Can't I just wait until the bubbling stops and bottle the wine through a sieve adding a campden tablet?

Ben

Ideally you should rack when your specific gravity is between 1.010-1.030. You don't want to sit on the fruit any longer than 7 days max.

Personally I wouldn't let the fruit sit for 3 days. I would process the fruit, make my must, then let it sit for 24 hours before pitching the yeast. That way you're fermenting on the fruit longer. Just my preference.

Thanks.

I haven't yet got a tool needed to measure gravity so what is the old fashioned way of telling?

Its 7 days are up this Thursday, I might go and buy a syphon tomorrow and rack it. When I add the campden tablet will this end the fermentation process?

Thanks.

I haven't yet got a tool needed to measure gravity so what is the old fashioned way of telling?

Its 7 days are up this Thursday, I might go and buy a syphon tomorrow and rack it. When I add the campden tablet will this end the fermentation process?

A more rudimentary way is to watch the rate of bubbles in the airlock. During the most active part of fermentation the water will look like it's boiling. Once you pass into secondary fermentation bubbling should slow down to a bubble every 20-30 seconds or so just as a rule of thumb.

Thanks.

Just to update: I have racked the wine into a new demijohn and added a campden tab.

The wine tasted very sweet and slightly alcoholic!

The bubbles have now settled to one every five minutes as opposed to one every 30 seconds.

How long should I leave it now?

There is still a very thin layer of sediment on the top, racking removed most of the hard stuff. Will this be OK to leave?

Did you crush the campden tablet?

Did you use stabiliser (fermentation stopper)

Did you degas the wine?

*Correction the bubbling is now every minute not every five minutes. Was every 30 seconds before.

Chippy:

Yes crushed one tablet, using a gallon jug but the wine takes up only half of the jug.

Not used stabiliser, assuming the yeast will eat the sugar and stop when its done?

How do you degas wine? It wasn't gassy!

If it's tasting only slightly like alcohol and is still very sweet I would be tempted to let it be until it has picked up more alcohol. While it's hard to say where you are in the fermentation process it may be slowing down a tad early. What yeast did you use?

It may not look fizzy but there will be CO2 which can slow clearing down also if you need to back sweeten and don't use a non fermentable sugar it will ferment again.

I appreciate all of the responses but can someone tell me how long I can now leave it in the new demijohn now that I have racked it?

Its still fermenting, I used caster sugar. Bubbling every minute. When I tasted it prior to racking it wasn't very alcoholic and had only been 1 week.

There is no time limit its called ageing, it can be left for many months and in the case of real fruit wine as opposed to the cheating method i use it will need several months.

How can you tell if it is alcoholic by tasting it, if you had a hydrometer and took a reading when you started and took one now you could work out how alcoholic it is.

If you want to make great tasting wine in a couple of weeks have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thanks.

I will leave it until the bubbles stop and take a reading.

There is a white foam within the brown sediment on top of the wine, do I need to worry about this?

I racked the wine a few days ago and I used a crushed campden tablet, there is still some sediment left and now some white foam?

Latest posts

Back