Pectolace Allergy.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Bit of a random question this one...

As much as I love a good pint of cider, I'm very allergic to lots of commercial ciders. A couple if mouthfuls of the stuff and I basically go a funny shade of purple and my lungs stop letting air in! I've also had the same effect with some wine and a couple of beers.

So I decided if I made my own cider, I'd be ok, right? I mean what could possibly go wrong? :roll:

I finally got round to sampling a bottle I made a couple of months ago and I was very nearly dragging myself off to A+E earlier tonight. A bit of a pain, yes, but at least I've narrowed down my allergy to something in MY cider.

As I know I'm not allergic to apple juice or tea it's gotta be either campden tablets, yeast (which seems unlikely) or pectolase (that's where my money's going!)

So my question, does anyone know if commercial ciders, or wines use pectolase? It might even be worth dropping some emails to the big companies and see if I get any response.
I'm sticking to stout for the time being!

Edit: the wonders of autocorrect has changed the title of this post to pectorals allergy. I'd just like to point out that, as far as I'm aware, I have no allergy to pectorals, or any other body parts.

I doubt it would be pectolase, it's much more likley to be with Campden tablets (sodium metabisulphite) and other sulphites as some people seem to be allergic to them, especially if they have asthma.

If you look at the ingredients label of wines and beers etc. it most probably says "contains sulphites".

https://www.allergyuk.org/sulphites-and-airway-symptoms/sulphites-and-airway-symptoms

There is a useful list of E numbers which are sulphites in the above link.

If in doubt speak to your GP.

Thanks for that. That allergy page describes my symptoms exactly! It's a shame my doctor didn't point me to that page when I asked them about it 10 years ago.

I think I'll knock up another batch of cider today without the campden and have. Test run with that. Living life on the edge :wink:

Thanks again for the info.

Why not make something that doesn't need campden tablets, do you have to drink cider?

Why not make something that doesn't need campden tablets, do you have to drink cider?

I mostly make ales and stout. I tend to avoid commercial cider because of the allergy. I wrongly assumed that if I made my own that'd be fine. Bit of a shame cause it was a lovely pint!

Would it be a bad idea to make cider without campden tablets? Would I be inviting infection?

I mostly make ales and stout. I tend to avoid commercial cider because of the allergy. I wrongly assumed that if I made my own that'd be fine. Bit of a shame cause it was a lovely pint!

Would it be a bad idea to make cider without campden tablets? Would I be inviting infection?

You say it was just apple juice and tea? I never bothered with campden tablets in them.. I didn't realise you're supposed too to be honest.. I just did juice tea pectolase. I haven't tried it bottled yet though.. but post fermentation was pretty decent

Let us know how it pans out.......and stay away from anything with sulphite in the name!b

As I know I'm not allergic to apple juice or tea it's gotta be either campden tablets, yeast (which seems unlikely) or pectolase (that's where my money's going!)

I would do as Covrich says leave out the campden and if you also leave out the pectolace you should be fine, as you say you make beer so i cannot see yeast being the problem.

I would do as Covrich says leave out the campden and if you also leave out the pectolace you should be fine, as you say you make beer so i cannot see yeast being the problem.

Yeah, that's what I'll do. Didn't get chance to do anything today but hopefully I'll get it brewing tomorrow.

Cheers for the help and advice guys. You might have saved a life :lol:

Don't use campden tablets or pectolase in my juice cider ... all I use is juice, sugar, tea, yeast and prime an EasyKeg with some more juice. Crystal clear and pleasantly tasting (she says!) and never had an infection.

Don't use campden tablets or pectolase in my juice cider ... all I use is juice, sugar, tea, yeast and prime an EasyKeg with some more juice. Crystal clear and pleasantly tasting (she says!) and never had an infection.

That's exactly how I've done my next batch. I hadn't thought of using more juice for priming though. I might give that a try. How much do you use?

That's exactly how I've done my next batch. I hadn't thought of using more juice for priming though. I might give that a try. How much do you use?

I use about 170ml per 5 litre keg ... She likes it 'lightly sparkling' rather than fizzy.

Latest posts

Back