Low space alternate for fermentation fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevAmos

Reaction score
I'd like to start controlling the temps of my fermentations. I've looked into the options and an automatic fermentation chamber modified fridge looks like the most reliable solution. Unfortunately, I have nowhere near enough space in my flat for an extra fridge.

Is there a reliable, space-saving alternative that anyone knows about. I was thinking, is there a fermentation chamber made of thermal fabric that can be collapsed when it's not in use? I suppose a fermentation tent.

Not heard of anything on the market like what you are looking for.

Off the top of my head, easiest option may be standing your FV in a plastic storage bin with some water and an aquarium heater to heat/hold the brew at a constant 18 or 20°C. You could put a wire frame clothes dryer round and then pop a sheet/duvet cover over to keep the draughts at bay and the heat constant within.

Here is a pic of my setup with the water bath - just in the garage so no need to cover really, got my storage bin from Ikea, 100watt aquarium heater off ebay for £8 or something:

This wouldn't cool though, just heat and hold higher than the surrounding ambient temp in your flat.

5_fermenting.jpg

I'd like to start controlling the temps of my fermentations. I've looked into the options and an automatic fermentation chamber modified fridge looks like the most reliable solution. Unfortunately, I have nowhere near enough space in my flat for an extra fridge.

Is there a reliable, space-saving alternative that anyone knows about. I was thinking, is there a fermentation chamber made of thermal fabric that can be collapsed when it's not in use? I suppose a fermentation tent.

This might do the trick but it's quite expensive for essentially a cool bag

http://www.morebeer.com/products/cool-brewing-insulated-fermentation-bag.html

You could probably make a box lined with loft insulation etc that you could break down into pieces once finished?
Something like the one here: http://www.digitalpeer.com/blog/brewing-fermentation-chamber-build
DA

Thanks for the very interesting options.

For heating I was thinking about using this thermostatic immersion heater. It can be adjusted to cut out at a temperature between 14-34C. It's compact and I won't have to do any DIY wiring.

The chilling part is harder. I like the 'brewing fridge without a fridge' post, using a brew belt heater and a peltier for cooling. I'll look more into that. I wonder if I could adapt a PC liquid cooling system to some sort of immersion chiller...?

Thanks for the very interesting options.

For heating I was thinking about using this thermostatic immersion heater. It can be adjusted to cut out at a temperature between 14-34C. It's compact and I won't have to do any DIY wiring.

The chilling part is harder. I like the 'brewing fridge without a fridge' post, using a brew belt heater and a peltier for cooling. I'll look more into that. I wonder if I could adapt a PC liquid cooling system to some sort of immersion chiller...?
PC liquid cooling systems cool hot water from a 60-100c CPU down to room temperature (20-22c) by blowing air over radiator fins. You could use the FV in a water bath idea, but you probably want to be able to cool the water to below room temperature. Then you can combine an aquarium pump with a peltier system. Use the STC-1000 to turn on the pump AND the peltier at the same time. I bet you can get a 12v pump that can run from a computer power supply the same as the peltier and fan for the hot side of the peltier. Attach two heatsinks to the peltier (one hot and one cool). Use a fan to blow air over the hot side to cool it. Use the aquarium pump to run the water from water bath over the heatsink attached to the cool end of the peltier and you've got a great system that is probably more efficient than a brewing fridge as water conducts heat waaaay better than air. Just make sure the pump sucks in water from an inch or so from the top of the water bath and blows the cooled water away from this. I kinda want to try this with my system now! :)

You could use the FV in a water bath idea, but you probably want to be able to cool the water to below room temperature. Then you can combine an aquarium pump with a peltier system. Use the STC-1000 to turn on the pump AND the peltier at the same time.

From all my research the water bath with pump and peltier system is looking like the best solution for my setup. I've come across this video[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKlIc6oCCg"]:[/ame] of someone using a Corsair liquid cooling unit attached to a peltier's hot side. The cold side of the peltier is attached to an aluminium water block that has a pump pushing water through it that needs to be chilled. In the video he gets the water down to around 6°C (44°F). Add a temperature controller and that is looking like a workable low space cooler.

I was wondering if the corsair liquid cooler would work without the peltier. Maybe remove the hotplate and extend the tubes into the waterbath so the corsair pump pulls water from the waterbath through it's radiator and back into the waterbath?

Latest posts

Back