Trials and tribulations! (ramblings)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've managed to leave my extract Landlord clone for a full week of warm keg-conditioning before giving in to a cheeky sample this afternoon!

It's certainly well carbonated already and nicely cleared. Body is perhaps a little thin and while it wouldn't fool anyone in a blind tasting, there is certainly a reasonable likeness to the real thing. I've high hopes that it will turn into a decent session brew over the next few weeks.

My first small-batch all grain efforts are causing a bit of concern. Of course, in my inexperience, I forgot to take any starting gravity readings, and I think I made every mistake in the book during the brewing. I also haven't been able to take a hydrometer reading as the 1 gallon fermenter is too shallow! Added to that, neither brew really 'took off' after pitching. There's some evidence of a krausen, but nothing like I've experience in previous kit efforts. I stirred them a couple of times a few days back, but this didn't seem to rouse any sleeping giants.

I ordered a refractometer, which turned up today. I made sure it was calibrated and tried a sample from each brew. After 11 days, the Stout is at 1.026 and the IPA, after 10 days, is 1.022. There's not much going on in the fv to suggest it's going to go much lower, however, I've moved the buckets under the stairs and I'll take another reading in a few more days. My fingers will remain crossed! The mosaic IPA smells gorgeous, but I'm a bit concerned that the dry hops might screw up the beer if I have to wait another couple of weeks to bottle it.

I was hoping to do another brew with some of the Maris Otter and EKG which turned up from The Home Brew Company this afternoon, however I was relying on clearing the two all grain fermenters before doing this! I think I'll change my plans and put together a hard cider with the WLP775 Wyeast instead! I'll try my hand at a starter and ferment my first batch in a 1 gallon PET water bottle from Sainsburys.

What yeast and how much yeast did you use in each brew ?

What temperature have the brews been fermenting at ?

What yeast and how much yeast did you use in each brew ?

What temperature have the brews been fermenting at ?

S04 for the stout and US05 for the IPA. I rehydrated both yeasts (half a packet each) in 100 mils of boiled cooled water and pitched when the wort was at around 22C. Both yeasts showed some activity immediately after rehydrating and before pitching.

Fermentation has taken place in my kitchen, which is south facing, so around 20 degrees or so daytime. Also, because the fermenters are so small, I put them in soft sided cool bags to maintain a reasonable temp and keep them off the tiled floor and out of the light.

Both taste fantastic, so no sign of an infection, just mill pond still!

Not much you can do now if you didn't but did you aerate your wort. I'm begining to get the impression that a lot of the 'stuck brew' threads we get have inadequate aeration as a root cause

Not much you can do now if you didn't but did you aerate your wort. I'm begining to get the impression that a lot of the 'stuck brew' threads we get have inadequate aeration as a root cause

This may well have been the cause. I did think at the time that it was difficult to work up any aeration simply because the 1 Gallon fermenter has so little head room, and pouring from any height would just lead to losing half the brew to the kitchen floor. I did stir as best as I could , but not to the extent that I have done when fermenting in bigger tubs! I think maybe I'll go with a demi john or a slightly bigger FV tub for future small batches!

I'm happy to put these down to experience. Any comments on where to go next with these? My plan is to just leave them for a couple more weeks and then bottle them in PET bottles. I'm also thinking I'll need to remove the dry hops in the IPA if I'm going to do this?

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Another batch on the go today :party:

This may well have been the cause. I did think at the time that it was difficult to work up any aeration simply because the 1 Gallon fermenter has so little head room, and pouring from any height would just lead to losing half the brew to the kitchen floor. I did stir as best as I could , but not to the extent that I have done when fermenting in bigger tubs! I think maybe I'll go with a demi john or a slightly bigger FV tub for future small batches!

I'm happy to put these down to experience. Any comments on where to go next with these? My plan is to just leave them for a couple more weeks and then bottle them in PET bottles. I'm also thinking I'll need to remove the dry hops in the IPA if I'm going to do this?

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Another batch on the go today :party:

You could use a whisk to stir/aerate. I use a mechanical whisk but a balloon whisk will work.
A really good way would be to get a 5l water bottle from the supermarket half fill with wort shake the bejusus out of it pour into you FV then do the other half. It will almost guaruntee you a low lag time. I do this with 5L of the water before I dilute my concentrated wort down ad my fermenttions usaully start about 9-10 hours later

I'm also thinking I'll need to remove the dry hops in the IPA if I'm going to do this?

Dry hops only want to be in your beer for 4-5 days ideally, any longer I think risks a grassy aroma/taste developing. So yes, get them out if leaving for much longer, or syphon your beer out into a clean FV if the hops are loose in the the wort.

Doesn't sound like you have done anything wrong in terms of yeast preperation, other than maybe not aerating the wort sufficiently before pitching as advised by MyQul.

You could boost the temp a little - to say 22°-23°C to try and rouse things but think your plan of leaving for another week or 2 then bottling in PET bottles is a sound plan from where you are now.

You could use a whisk to stir/aerate. I use a mechanical whisk but a balloon whisk will work.
A really good way would be to get a 5l water bottle from the supermarket half fill with wort shake the bejusus out of it pour into you FV then do the other half. It will almost guaruntee you a low lag time. I do this with 5L of the water before I dilute my concentrated wort down ad my fermenttions usaully start about 9-10 hours later

That is exactly what I will do this morning with the brew I've currently got on! I've got some 5L water bottles! Thanks for the suggestion!

Dry hops only want to be in your beer for 4-5 days ideally, any longer I think risks a grassy aroma/taste developing. So yes, get them out if leaving for much longer, or syphon your beer out into a clean FV if the hops are loose in the the wort.

Doesn't sound like you have done anything wrong in terms of yeast preperation, other than maybe not aerating the wort sufficiently before pitching as advised by MyQul.

You could boost the temp a little - to say 22°-23°C to try and rouse things but think your plan of leaving for another week or 2 then bottling in PET bottles is a sound plan from where you are now.

Cheers Spapro!

I will remove them today. It's all a learning experience!

Just a bump on proceedings with my two stuck batches. I did another refractometer reading today and there has been absolutely no movement at all since I last checked.

I'm happy to keep these in primary for a little longer and perhaps just go ahead and bottle at the end of this week. There is one option that I'd appreciate an experienced opinion on. I've got the half packets of yeast left from the original brew. Would there be any merit in hydrating these and pitching?

On the brighter side, my Maris Otter EKG SMaSH brew has fermented brilliantly and looks to have got down to around 1.016 after 3 days. This pretty much confirms to me that it must have been a lack of aeration in my first two batches which caused them to stick.

You could try pitching more yeast but generally it doesn't work as the first lot of yeast uses up all the available oxygen and most of the available nutrients in the wort so theres nothing left for the second lot of yeast

You could try pitching more yeast but generally it doesn't work as the first lot of yeast uses up all the available oxygen and most of the available nutrients in the wort so theres nothing left for the second lot of yeast

OK, cheers. I think I might pitch one and leave the other, as an experiment.

OK, cheers. I think I might pitch one and leave the other, as an experiment.

I convinced a couple of members to do a little experiment for me with stuck brews. They made up a well aerated starter and pitched it into the stuck brew. It still didn't really work. I think it moved one point.

If you'd like to be another guinnea pig I have another idea......

However...this is really left field. Another member recently had a stuck brew and dry hopped it and it got going again. I have no idea why this might work. So if you've got some spare hops you don't mind possible wasting.......

I convinced a couple of members to do a little experiment for me with stuck brews. They made up a well aerated starter and pitched it into the stuck brew. It still didn't really work. I think it moved one point.

If you'd like to be another guinnea pig I have another idea......

However...this is really left field. Another member recently had a stuck brew and dry hopped it and it got going again. I have no idea why this might work. So if you've got some spare hops you don't mind possible wasting.......

Might as well give it a go. I'm repitching the stout with S04. I was planning on giving the rehydrated yeast a really good whisk anyway.

As it's a 4.5 litre batch, 10g's of hops?

Might as well give it a go. I'm repitching the stout with S04. I was planning on giving the rehydrated yeast a really good whisk anyway.

As it's a 4.5 litre batch, 10g's of hops?

Tbh I know nothing about dry hopping as I've never done it but I think most people use 20-30g in 23L so 10g should be a good amount

Wonder what othe crazy experiment ideas I can come up with to rope forumites into :geek: :hmm:

how about you send one of each of your beers to me and mislabel then to see if it has any difference on how they are perceived :wink:

like myquls strong stout label on a bottle of your porter :-)

how about you send one of each of your beers to me and mislabel then to see if it has any difference on how they are perceived :wink:

like myquls strong stout label on a bottle of your porter :-)

Sound like a great idea!

<Myqul puts 'Finest Bitter known to man' label on bottle of possibly infected with wild yeast bottle of ESB and prepares to send it to D_o_J :twisted:>

Update on activity 30 hours after pitching extra yeast and dry hopping.......

Not a lot... :roll:

Oh well, it looks as though there is nothing more to do. I'll bottle it later in the week and see how it turns out after conditioning.

Latest posts

Back