And now we wait

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiddlyWin

Reaction score
So, after waiting for my stuff to be delivered and coming home from work I decided I could wait no longer and went ahead and started my very first brew.

Its so easy and omg so enjoyable. below are some images I took :)
20150902_195808.jpg

Clean area :)

20150902_195952.jpg

Kit layed out ready to be sterilised

20150902_200623.jpg

Everything is being sterilised, made myself a brew (cup of tea :thumb: )

20150902_201847.jpg

Attached the valve to the pressure barrel and checked for leaks, all ok :)

20150902_202052.jpg

Checking the contents of the Beer kit, and dunked the tins in hot water for a few mins.

20150902_204459.jpg

Someone could not resist giving it a sturr, although they were complaining that the smell was making them feel ill. Tbf, it was very smelly lol.

20150902_210429.jpg

I wrote down the gravity reading it came in at about 1.040,

I didnt add all the enhancer bit most of it went in.

Finished, everything added and has been placed in a dark room. Now we play the waiting game.

I really enjoyed this experience and I'm really looking forward to tasting it now

Thanks
:-D

Good job! The hardest part is not fiddling with it too early!

My own someone is too wee to stir it yet, bit I think she's going to be well used to the smells of brewing by the time she is! ;)

Good job! The hardest part is not fiddling with it too early!

My own someone is too wee to stir it yet, bit I think she's going to be well used to the smells of brewing by the time she is! ;)

Yea, I've been checking the temp every now and again, its sitting at about 23 ish, I've had to add a cold fan as the room I'm storing in is warmer in the night than normal. I'll check the temp again when I home from work later on.

Admit it, your child did all the brewing whilst you instructed her from a chair, supping on beer!

Ive also been posting this on the BrewUK forum but ill update here as well

Update #1 Thursday Morning: Not able to see any bubbling going on, tbh I've been really good and left it.
I've been checking the temp every now and again, its sitting at about 23 ish, I've had to add a cold fan as the room I'm storing in is warmer in the night than normal (it was about 25 in the room before I added the cold fan, now the room is about 20 ish degrees). I'll check the temp again when I home from work later on.

Update #2 Thursday evening. Oh my lord its all going off, plenty of action here, Airlock water level is a hell of a lot different to when I filled up, indicating that there is C02 acting on the lock, so really Happy there. Fan has stabilised the temp of the FV to 22.5 and I can see signs of a nice Krausen line.

Update #3 Friday. Checked on the FV this morning, mainly the temp and the water level on the airlock. all in all, happy so far, the room the FV is stored in smells a little.... yeasty...

It's your first brew so I guess you can be forgiven for treating the beer like a sleeping baby!

Add yeast, leave 5/7 days an that's it, less risk of contaminants.

It's your first brew so I guess you can be forgiven for treating the beer like a sleeping baby!

Add yeast, leave 5/7 days an that's it, less risk of contaminants.

I was more concerned about making sure the room was at the right temp, currently it is, so I'm ok at the moment XD. I haven't even looked inside it haha, so tempting though :pray:

Update: 4. Well it's been a few weeks since I posted an update about the St Peters Golden ale I brewed as my very first and I must say I have enjoyed at little too much. I have all but finished my barrel and I've been extremely happy with the way it turned out. The ale it self is of golden colour and carbonated well. I shall be getting another one of those kits at the end of the month as well as a stout to try as well.

Congratulations on your first! It's not as daunting as people think, and there is definitely no going back now. I think you showed remarkable patience by the way, I think it wasn't until my 4th or 5th brew where I still had some left a month after....

So, after waiting for my stuff to be delivered and coming home from work I decided I could wait no longer and went ahead and started my very first brew.

Its so easy and omg so enjoyable. below are some images I took :)
20150902_195808.jpg

Clean area :)

20150902_195952.jpg

Kit layed out ready to be sterilised

20150902_200623.jpg

Everything is being sterilised, made myself a brew (cup of tea :thumb: )

20150902_201847.jpg

Attached the valve to the pressure barrel and checked for leaks, all ok :)

20150902_202052.jpg

Checking the contents of the Beer kit, and dunked the tins in hot water for a few mins.

20150902_204459.jpg

Someone could not resist giving it a sturr, although they were complaining that the smell was making them feel ill. Tbf, it was very smelly lol.

20150902_210429.jpg

I wrote down the gravity reading it came in at about 1.040,

I didnt add all the enhancer bit most of it went in.

Finished, everything added and has been placed in a dark room. Now we play the waiting game.

I really enjoyed this experience and I'm really looking forward to tasting it now

Thanks
:-D

Great stuff thanks for sharing tiddly!

Latest posts

Back