Wild apple cider UK - pasteurising question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will-o-the-wisp

Reaction score
Hi there,

Skip to the bold text for my question and concerns.

I have picked about 40kg of apples that have been growing in parks, fields, etc and I plan to press them in a few days, with my 5 litre fruit press, to make 5 gallons of fresh apple juice which I will use to make cider. They are washed, quartered and in the freezer now. I plan to use a packet if cider yeast from my local brew shop.

The apples picked are a mix of red, green, crab apples and other types that have been growing locally around south-west UK. I tried to pick a variety as they are not cider apples and I am hoping the mix of sweet, sour and bitter apples will make a half decent brew. I have been making a variety of country wines for about 3 years now but this is the first time trying to make a cider. Surprisingly, I could not find much info regarding cider recipes in the UK and so I have a few questions, I could not find any answers searching on-line.

What is the best way to pasteurise 5 gallons of freshly pressed apple juice the juice? I was thinking to use campden tablets but not sure how many and if this would be reliable for 5 gallons. I was also thinking to heat the juice to 70-75 degrees Celsius to pasteurise, which I think is more reliable, but I do not want to risk degrading the flavours of the apples with heat.

Does any one recommended a method to pasteurise 5 gallons of wild fresh apple juice?

So I have read a few parts from that link, in the step by step, there is no mention of pasteurising the pressed juice before adding the yeast so am I safe to assume that I do not need to pasteurise the juice before I add a yeast starter? Only asking because I always gently heat or add campden tablets when making blackberry or elderberry wine and would not feel comfortable missing this step when making it.

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/Additi...-related-guides/Common-cider-making-questions suggests the amount of campden depends on the PH of your juice.

You can also use the wild yeast present on the apples to ferment without adding any other yeast. This can take longer though, I think I read to leave it for a year, somewhere.

Seems like a good guide to all your options. I really want to make a cider from foraged apples one day, good luck.

I wouldn't pasteurise, as you say this could degrade the flavour.

No pasteurisation because many non commercial brewers use the wild yeasts rather than add yeast, using Camden to deal with the problems as discussed in the links above

OK so I think I will skip the pasteurising step.

On a another note, I have noticed one mistake I have already made, I picked the apples yesterday and as soon as I got home I washed, quartered and dumped them all in the freezer, to extract more juice. Now I am aware that I should have stored them for a 1-4 weeks to allow the starch to convert to sugar. Do you think these are ruined/useless now?

I could pick some more. 40kg sounds like a lot but this only took me about 40 minutes to pick and there are 20x more still on the trees.

How about (if you can) do two batches - one with your frozen ones, and one with a batch that have sat for four weeks? Be interesting to see if there's any difference...

I think I will give that ago actually, at least 1-2 gallons anyway. Might use the remaining for juice for drinking, if palatable. About 5 kg of the apples collected were crab apples which I will just keep frozen as they seem harder to find; heard they are a good addition to making cider.

At least picking and prepping 40kg of apples is a walk in the park, literately, compared to picking and prepping just 10kg of elderberries or blackberres.

The only time you will need to pasturize the juice is if you keep it as juice, as for yeast I used a sachet of lavine ec 1118 about two years ago and am just transfering a small amount of juice/cider on to the next batch to start it going, I have never forzen any apples for processing but then I would not have freezer room for them any way, I know alot is said about keeping the apples for a few weeks before processing, but I just do them when I feel I have enough to do which by the looks of this year will be a once a week job.

I dont work on weights I just collect by the dustbin and can tell you, you should be expecting about 6 gals of juice from one bin full, maybe more depending on how fine you chop the apples and how much pressure you use for the press.

working on pure apple juice with nothing added it should come out about 7% vol, so do not be tempted to add sugar as that will just kill the flavor.

I did a test run today, never used my 5.5 litre fruit press before. I managed to get 6 pints of brown but nice tasting apple juice from about 1/3 of a 23 litre bucket that had quartered apples loosely thrown in, I guess I used about 6 kg of quartered apples for the test.

6 pints does not sound a lot but I only did two presses to yield 6 pints, could have got about 8 pints if I did not rush and was more efficient, and if the apples were still not semi-frozen, but happy with the amounts. Couldn't do the whole 23 litre bucket because despite having the bucket outdoors for more than 24 hours, half the apples were still frozen. The link above, cider.org, also suggests mixing the pulp with a little bit of water and pressing again, which I will do when I do it is bulk. I am also sure I could have pressed them harder but I did not want to risk damaging the threads, which I read people have had this happen to them.

I put the extracted juice in a clean 6 pint milk carton to freeze it and will defrost when I do the rest of the bulk. Went to the brew shop today and picked up some "Gervin Cider Yeast Gv13", so going to use this for the ferment, despite not pasteurising. Feeling a bit more confident after doing the test run, knowing how much time and effort I am going to need :-)

Latest posts

Back