AG24 - Golden Sorachi Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been quiet on this forum lately but thought I'd post my latest brew.

I pack away my brewing gear for a bit to have my garage demolished and a new man cave built so I was using up a load of ingredients I had lying around.

I was originally going for a Golden Biere de garde recipe but didn't have the right yeast so I switched it to a saison and then made the decision to make it more bitter and hoppy. I've found all my recent saisons a bit lacking in hoppiness and they've generally been done with noble hops. I had best part of a bag of Sorachi so I thought I'd try upping the IBU and also add a good late addition to see if I can get that instant sharp bitterness and flavour:

OG - 1.052
IBU - 44
Target FG - 1.006
Target ABV - 6%
Yeast - 1.2L Blaugies starter (harvested from bottles)

MASH - 75 MINS @ 65C

3kg Pilsner
1kg Wheat malt
1kg Flaked wheat
200g Caramunich
200g Aromatic
200g Rice hulls

BOIL - 90 MINS

15g Sorachi Ace (14%AA) - FWH
10g Bobek (6.3% AA) - FWH
10g Bobek (6.3% AA) - 20 mins
1/2 Protofloc - 15 mins
15g Sorachi Ace (14%AA) - 5 mins
10g Bobek (6.3% AA) - 5 mins

The brew day went smoothly. I hit my pre boil volume and gravity perfectly but now I'm doing a more vigorous 90 minute boil which means I'm having to liquor back at the end. I was aiming for 22L at 1.052 and hit the gravity right but ended up 1.5L short. I'm not sure how that works but hey-ho!

How's this going? Looks a very interesting brew, lemony hops with a saison yeast. Keep us posted.

I bottled it this time last week so I'll give it a first try a week later although I know it'll benefit from more aging

Latest posts

Back