Cider kit and finnings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnewton

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a cider kit that's just finished fermenting. I am now going to transfer it into a barrel and add the flavorings and leave it stand for a few days before bottling.

My question is can you add finnings to cider kits? And if so when is the best time to add them? I was thinking of adding them the same time I add the flavoring when I transfer to the barrel?

Thanks all

Chris

cider doesn't need finings added, all of mine go perfectly clear within a week of bottling

in my experience anyhoo 😃

Yeh I did a few cider kits when I started making my own last year but now make it Turbo Cider stylee with supermarket apple juice and syrups to flavour, same price to make and tastes much better I reckon

Actually I have decided to add finnings, do I add these at the same time I add the flavoring sachet?

yeh chuck em in at the same time I suppose, otherwise you'll stir the sediment back up when you stir in the flavouring

Yea so when I chuck the flavoring in also put the finnings in? Just didn't want the finnings to cancel out the flavoring

you could add them before flavouring and then, after adding flavouring give it a stir back up and let it settle before bottling

how come you want to add finings tho, just curious

I use the bulldog cider kit and it is lovely and clear without findings, the instructions on the kit says don't use findings unless you want still cider.

Obviously you will need to poor it carefully out of the bottle so as not to disturb the sediment in the bottom.

although it looks really cloudy when you bottle, it will go crystal clear by itself.. honest!

Latest posts

Back