Oatmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Regular.
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all.

I'm hoping to make an changed clone (an idiosyncrasy, I know. But I want to change it slightly more to my taste) of Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout.

I've based it off the recipe here http://www.brew365.com/beer_ss_oat.php

8 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt (UK if you have it, but whatever)
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley
Hop Schedule (31 IBU)

1.75 oz. - East Kent Goldings - 90 min.

However I'm changing the 2 Row to Mild ale malt, and increasing the crystal to make it less dry. I'm also considering increasing the roasted/chocolate malts, to add more roasty flavours.

I'm assuming that nobody can see anything glaringly stupid with my changes? I'm also thinking of using Mangrove Jacks UK Dark Ale yeast, as since its a dark ale, I can get away with something less flocculative than in pale beers.

Gracias,
Ant

Nothing glaringly stupid at all, no. I seem to prefer cleaner yeasts in stouts myself, though. I would worry that yeast would leave too many sugars unfermented for my taste.

Thats a fair point about the yeast, I might hold it back for a dark mild, and go for something cleaner and more fluocculative. Especially having read some negative reviews about it in an oatmeal stout.

Also, i think i might change the hops for something with a higher AA. I dont see the point in using lovely EKG just for their bitterness

Hi. I did the exact same recipe on saturday using the dark yeast, I had a bit of foamy action after 24 hrs but this morning , its al flat, going to see what iits like tonight asId expect the head to last a bit longer, anyone had anything similar ?

Hi. I did the exact same recipe on saturday using the dark yeast, I had a bit of foamy action after 24 hrs but this morning , its al flat, going to see what iits like tonight asId expect the head to last a bit longer, anyone had anything similar ?

I cant say so, let me know how it turns out, It'll be a few weeks until I put do this, so hopefully I can learn from your experiences :D

Take a hydrometer reading, it's the only way to know what's actually happening.

Probably normal. My stouts never seem to have lots of activity on top after a few days but always finish fermenting.

Okay, I've been thinking a little more about this, I'm half tempted to try toasting the oats, as I have seen a few others on the internet recommend this. Also, I have realised I've accidentally bought chocolate rye malt? Will that be much of an issue?

Since the only hops are bittering, I think I'm going to finally use up the cascade I have sitting around, as I'm not going to be making any american style beers any time soon.

Made mine up today, I used the 'metric pound', by assuming 1lb = 500g. Giving 4kg base malt, 500g oats, 250g crystal, 250g chocy and 125g roasted malt. Increased the IBUs to compensate for this by using up some cascade I had.

This gives calculated values of a SG of 1.059, and 43 IBU (which is a bit higher than I was aiming for, but the cascade was old, so had probably lost some of its AA).

Its currently cooling in the fermenter, then I'll pitch the Gervin GV12 tonight/tomorrow.

I would think the choc rye will be fine. Been using rye and crystal rye in my pale ales and they taste good. Too inexperienced to actually notice the difference yet though but enjoying drinking them. Best of luck with your brew Antony.

I have a chocolate stout ish going with the MO3 mangrove Jack's right now.

1.068 so I'm so seeing how well it will ferment. Still get a good beer just maybe a little sweet. Fingers crossed as its supposed to only reach 55-65% attenuation.

Time will tell. I looked at the oats in my LHBS and thought of adding them. Maybe next time :-)

Brewed this up last weekend, had a sample yesterday, and it tasted pretty good, although not as roasty as I would like. I'm going to leave it to condition for a while (as its still super young, and I fint that roasty flavours come through with time), Then I my try adding a hop-tea/oak chips/some other flavourant if I dont like it still.

Okay, Today its bottling day! The trial jar tastes very good, plenty of roasty flavours. however I have noticed some white scum on the top of the FV, hopefully not another infection, but as they say, the truth is in the tasting.

I was planning on ptting it in a corny, however I have very cleverly left it at a friends house. So it looks like its into minikegs and bottles. Which is a shame, as I feel that having to do a secondary fermentation makes it more liable that the potential infection will ruin the beer compared to force carbonation.

Cracked open a bottle of this. Its young, however not bad.

There is little carbonation, as its not dissolved into the beer yet, and there is a rather noticable burnt aftertaste. Hopefully it will fade with conditioning.

There is not as much bitterness as I was expecting, I feel my hops almost certainly lost some AA's.

So, Lessons for next time

- Try steeping roasted barley to not get that burnt taste
- More fresh hops for the correct bitterness
- More flavouring hops?
- perhaps a less attenuative yeast for some lingering sweetness

So, I've still got a few bottles of this hanging around, I might have to have a taste and see what it's like after such a long time conditioning. I'm considering a re-make of this, with less roasted barley and the new Danstar London ESB yeast.

Latest posts

Back