Starting out. Extract? AG? Grainfather?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagbrew

Reaction score
Hi folks

Just starting out. I've done one kit so far the golden stag summer ale. Tried one just before I went on holiday and tasted good if I say so myself haha.

I did enjoy it but I would like to get a bit more involved with process. I've been looking at the grainfather which looks good in the fact that it takes up less room and with a kid on the way at the start of the year and a wife that is less than impressed with my beer kit about the house already. Space is a big appeal. Cost being the negative!

What do you guys think is the best option bearing in mind DIY is pretty much a disaster zone for me haha. Should I start with extract for a year or so and work up or just dive in at the deep end?

Also for learning purposes is the grainfather sort of cheating compared to the 3 vessel set ups?

This would be my no1 option haha although it would probably leave short for the divorce fees

:lol:

Seriously though, a simple pot and bag for BIAB is cheap and doesn't take up much space. If you do a full length brew you'll need all the gas and kit though. Maybe a electric boiler? If you do kits plus mini mash you can just have a 15L pot and grain bag and that's all you need really (same goes for extract plus mini mash)

What size batches do you want to make? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 litre?

You can make 10 to 12 litres on your cooker with a stock pot and a grain bag. Minimal equipment, great beer from grain. An intolerant partner might not like you taking over the kitchen for a few hours, and some brewers get forced out into gardens and sheds. The main issues are steaming up the kitchen and making a mess of the hob with burnt wort. And spillages of course, sticky floors. But if you're careful, and open windows and use a fan, none of this need apply!

If you want 20-25 litres, you can add extract and cold water in the FV. And you would use more hops in the boil obviously.

Hi folks

Just starting out. I've done one kit so far the golden stag summer ale. Tried one just before I went on holiday and tasted good if I say so myself haha.

I did enjoy it but I would like to get a bit more involved with process. I've been looking at the grainfather which looks good in the fact that it takes up less room and with a kid on the way at the start of the year and a wife that is less than impressed with my beer kit about the house already. Space is a big appeal. Cost being the negative!

What do you guys think is the best option bearing in mind DIY is pretty much a disaster zone for me haha. Should I start with extract for a year or so and work up or just dive in at the deep end?

Also for learning purposes is the grainfather sort of cheating compared to the 3 vessel set ups?
I'm in the same boat. I'm managing to save £50 per month which was originally for a Grainfather but I'm on a list to trial it and I've already saved £740 so I might keep saving to get a BrauMeister. I took advantage of a Tesco clubcard boost and a sale at the time and bought a Coopers starter kit that has everything to do kit brews; it only cost me £26 in clubcard vouchers so a bargain as I now have the FV with tap and can resist buying a Grainfather. I should have £1000 by Christmas and I'm going to ask for money towards a BrauMeister when I'm asked what I want for Christmas. Hopefully there will be January sales or deals on so that I can get one then.
I've thought of selling a few organs too ;)
If your wife is anything like mine there will be mention of a million and one things that the money could be better spent on but my reply is let's start a savings account for them too.

I haven't really considered the Boil in a bag method but that might be ideal. I'm not that concerned about size of brew if anything smaller means I can brew more often and try more styles.

I have an electric hob in the house will this be ok? If your making smaller batches can you just reduce the recipes? Or do you require boil in the bag recipes?

Some brewers do use their electric hobs, but I have never owned an electric hob. I think it depends on the type.

I have found 10-12 litres is a good amount. 5 litres is not enough to justify the time. 20-25 litres is a lot of beer, I don't drink enough to want that much of any one brew. I do sometimes make large batches using my mashtun, but even then I split the wort after the mash, and boil smaller amounts with different hops and steep grains to make different beers. It's a bit of a faff though, making one batch of 10-12 litres at a time makes sense. Focus on the one beer and get it right (he tells himself).

You can use any recipe, simply reduce it proportionately. If it's a 23 litre recipe, divide each ingredient by 23 and then multiply by 10, or whatever quantity you want to make. Or get an app or use an online brewing calculator, much easier.

Check out the simple AG thread...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

Clibit got me onto partial mashes, which is a way of making 23litre batches by doing a small batch of all grain boil in a bag style in a large stockpot on your hob (15l stockpot size is ideal), and adding that into the FV with one can kit - Coopers kits work well.

This makes great beer and is a good intermediate step towards full all grain, or full length BIAB all grain.

This post has some recipes you could try:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55390

All this constant talking about BIAB and mini-mashes etc. is really tempting me.

I only joined the forum two months ago to make a bloody demijohn full of simple mead but now my house if full of bubbling demijohns, 25l buckets full of murky frothy liquids and I have more bottles, tubes and chemicals than a chemist!!!!

This thing is scarily addictive!

5093671-large-380.jpg

On my way to WILKOs again!

Follow Clibit's BIAB guide, and then see how you like the process. You can mash in the fermenting vessel you already have by insulating it with a sleeping bag or towels, etc.

If you enjoy it, then that may sway you to get a Braumeister. I'd also be thinking about how your partner might say "no" to one later after you've had the baby... (selfish, I know).

Hi folks

If I were you I'd do a few more kit brews just to get used to brewing and coming face to face with such issues as stuck fermentations and what to do about them.
Then move straight to AG. I'd recomend BIAB if space is an issue as it doesn't require that much more equipment than kit brewing. It's also very time consuming but so much more satisfying than kit brewing. I'd say the results are noticeably better too but a down-side is that pub real ales start being a bit dissapointing!:lol:

If I were you I'd do a few more kit brews just to get used to brewing and coming face to face with such issues as stuck fermentations and what to do about them.
Then move straight to AG.

I'd agree with that, I'd use a few more kit brews to get a good handle on cleaning and sanitasation and also making sure you could keep your brews at a consistent temperature...there is nothing more painful than pouring 6 hours work down the drain!

Cheers guys

Think I'll do another couple of kits and try boil in the bags. The smaller amounts seems good and not having to buy loads of extra kit.

Just out of curiosity can the braumeister and the grainfather make small batches?

If you're planning any more than 5L batches then I'd advise against trying biab brewing on an electric cooker. Mine's a big range master thing but struggles to get 7L to the boil and hold it there. Either get a big gas burner or an electric boiler; though people seem to have varying degrees of success with those.

Well wardy if you are in any doubt if it's worth it getting a braumeister I can confirm it is soooo worth it!!!!! Even if your wife does hate the smell of malt being mashed [emoji6]

And if you are in any doubt then watch this space as I'm planning on starting a YouTube channel about how I'm getting on with my new toy for home brewing. Then you'll be able to make your own mind up.

Well wardy if you are in any doubt if it's worth it getting a braumeister I can confirm it is soooo worth it!!!!! Even if your wife does hate the smell of malt being mashed [emoji6]

And if you are in any doubt then watch this space as I'm planning on starting a YouTube channel about how I'm getting on with my new toy for home brewing. Then you'll be able to make your own mind up.
:) I've already made my mind up. I put my name forward for a Grainfather trial and was told I might be first in the trial but I haven't heard a thing from them. Bad move by them because now I have saved £750 and just discovered I have £280 to claim from topcashback. My dad has just told me he will make up the extra cash to buy a BrauMeister so I can get an all grain brew for Christmas. I just need to look for the cheapest shop and import it from Germany.

I did that whole weighing up process and I went for Brewuk. Cheapest place in the UK (£1050) with free delivery. And if your prepared to drive there and pay cash you can collect it at the wholesale shop and get a decent (worth it) discount. Worth getting your first AG kit made up and buy it while your there as well. My first brew is in the fermenter as we speak [emoji106]🏻

I was down for the GF and the BM trial but nothing's happened about it so I just went out and bought one anyway :0)
Good move and many thanks for pointing out that great price. My dad will be pleased he doesn't need to add money. As soon as the topcashback money is cleared I will order a BrauMeister. I'm getting exited already :)

Latest posts

Back