First Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous

Reaction score
It has now been a week since I brewed my first batch of ale. The instructions tell me that I can bottle it after 5 days. I have had a look around this forum and it would appear that is not long enough.. Only thing is I dont really know what is long enough.Im also not sure how long I leave the beer in the bottles before I can have a drink. Im not in a hurry, I am a patient man.
Do I need to be looking for anything during the fermentation?
I know thats three qustions in one post but I want to get this right.
Thanks in advance

It has now been a week since I brewed my first batch of ale. The instructions tell me that I can bottle it after 5 days. I have had a look around this forum and it would appear that is not long enough.. Only thing is I dont really know what is long enough.Im also not sure how long I leave the beer in the bottles before I can have a drink. Im not in a hurry, I am a patient man.
Do I need to be looking for anything during the fermentation?
I know thats three qustions in one post but I want to get this right.
Thanks in advance
The kit instructions tend to be very optomistic. You will get better, clearer beer by being patient.

The only way to know if the beer has finished fermenting is by taking a couple of gravity readings using a hydrometer a couple of days apart.

Best to leave your beer in the FV for at least 10 days, take a reading, then leave another few days and take another reading.

The reading needs to be lowish (1.010 - 1.014) and consistent over the 2 readings a few days apart before you think about bottling.

EDIT: just to add make sure everything that touches your beer, sample jar/hydrometer is sanitised to avoid infecting your brew.

Thankyou.. im going to buy something to assist with the syphoning as I dont want to suck (literally). I have a gum infection so I dont want to risk anything.

It has now been a week since I brewed my first batch of ale. The instructions tell me that I can bottle it after 5 days.

It seems that everyone except the people that write the packet instructions knows that 5 days is ridiculously optimistic. 2-3 weeks is more common.

Get yourself a hydrometer and a sample jar, wait until all visible fermentation activity has stopped then start taking daily readings and compare against the target gravity in the instructions (again, often optimistically low numbers).

My last but one brew was in the FV for 4 weeks and it turned out great.

Thankyou.. im going to buy something to assist with the syphoning as I dont want to suck (literally). I have a gum infection so I dont want to risk anything.

Or if your a tight bugger like me you can syphon using the following method. I fill the syphon with star san instead of water. Takes a bit of practice but is pretty simple once you know how

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6wnVFsGdv0[/ame]

Ive ordered the syphon from amazon..hopefully if it arrives in time and the beer is ready to bottle then il have a go on sunday at bottling...ive pre warned the wife that this could be messy and sunday lunch may need to be abandoned;-)

Ive ordered the syphon from amazon..hopefully if it arrives in time and the beer is ready to bottle then il have a go on sunday at bottling...ive pre warned the wife that this could be messy and sunday lunch may need to be abandoned;-)

I would recommend one of these for bottling saves some of the mess, also if you are lucky enough to have a dishwasher fill the bottles over the open door and spillage is then contained and does not hit the floor.

https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/bottling-stick-wand.html

Either I have been very lucky, or there is less infection than people make out. One thing to remember is the water comes from the tap with a kit and is not boiled. So you want alcohol to form quickly to stop other organisms from feasting on your fermentables. The most important thing with kits is the temperature. Get that right and you get a good brew. There is some leeway but where and how measured makes a difference. I found stick on thermometer strips are good, but since they are not insulated from ambient air can be out by a couple of degrees. Same with measuring air temperature inside something like a fridge. So a sensor under something like a sponge will give a more accurate reading.

You don't need the accurate reading, but you do need to allow for inaccurately. So stick on thermometer in kitchen and brew doing fine in early stages at 17.5 deg C, but in a fridge with sensor under a sponge held hard against fermentor side found lower limit 19.5 deg C, however latter will run start to finish. With the stick on at finish it needed to be warmer I needed that 19 deg C to finish.

As to upper limit I found even getting to 26 deg C on stick on the brew was drinkable, but more bitter than when held at 19.5 deg C. The temperature also impacts on time. I am sure if I held the beer warm enough you could get that 7 day time, but at 19.5 deg C I have found around 3 weeks before ready to bottle. Once or twice a brew has stuck, the problem is when the yeast is damaged and stops it signals to new yeast to stop also, so when this happens one has to transfer to clean fermentor and pitch in about double the normal quantity of yeast to get it started again. However sticking is rare. However because it can stick using a hydrometer is always a good idea. The higher the start reading the lower the finish reading so even with hydrometer you can make mistakes.

So cure is use plastic bottles. Using 2 litre plastic pop bottles has a lot of benefits. You can squeeze bottle and find if bottled too early without opening bottle. 40 pints needs around 12 pop bottles so bottling is easier. Also you can replace the cap so one 2 litre bottle can last 3 to 7 days after opening so you can if you want drink less.

When I started I had no hydrometer, no air lock, no temperature strip, and started syphon with mouth the latter I still do. It would sit for at least 4 weeks before bottling and other than ginger beer and larger I have not had a failure. The air lock was first aid, but found leaks even with screw on lid were a problem. Used an electrical stuffing gland sealed with petroleum jelly to stop leaks and it worked well. I knew when bubbles dropped from 6 a minute to 1 every 2 minutes it was finished. But the hydrometer was then bought so although the air lock gave first indication the hydrometer confirmed it. Brewing in kitchen 2 weeks to 8 weeks it varied a lot. Now in fridge with thermostat controlled heater it takes 2 ~ 3 weeks every time. I also no longer need air lock and very rare for hydrometer to read too high.

If fresh pop bottle I just rinse out, if used for beer before I use sanitising fluid, mainly as I forget to rinse as soon as empty, never put away dirty equipment as yeast seems to bake on if you do. I keep in bottle for 3 months to a year before drinking. I stop brewing June, July and August as too hot, which means end of September down to last 80 pints in stock. June likely 300 pints in stock. Beer brewed too warm does improve with time, so tended to keep beer, today with careful temperature control really no need to keep so long.

At first syphon tube was too short. I found because the beer has CO2 in it you need 12 inches between bottom of fermentor and top of item syphoning into or the CO2 causes a bubble of gas causing syphon to fail. Also if you put tube into top of bottle it froths up, you need tube at bottom to fill without froth, so you need a tap. With a tap midway in pipe it is so easy, Turn off transfer to next bottle then turn on again. I use a simple clamp to hold pipe on fermentor, if pipe moves you stir up sediment. Also it may not stay at near bottom.

To reduce sediment I transfer to clean fermentor after around 10 days. It's not required, but does reduce sediment in bottles. If fermentor is not going to be used within a day I put sanitiser in it, but if used straight away for next brew I just wash out. As I said kit beer uses tap water so no point going OTT. Brewers doing Larger from scratch have to be very careful as it takes so long for the alcohol to get to a level to stop infection. You will note kit lager runs same temperature as bitter. Since we do use tap water we can never really blame cleaning for a bad brew we will never know if problem was in water or equipment. But clearly no harm in good cleaning, and I do clean well, but don't use that much sanitizing liquid.

The German government before Lager was invented would not allow additives to be added to beer. This included yeast. So the yeast in the beer came from the stirring stick and every family guarded their stick as this had their yeast on it. Clearly they did not clean the stick very well or there would be no yeast. They also found specially with larger in the summer it was too warm to brew. So the first brew after the summer was a celebration, so that's why we have the beer festival.

Good luck with your brewing, you really have to be unlucky for it to go wrong. Today with a thermostatic controlled fridge I only look at each brew three times. Once at start, once at transfer, and once when I bottle. Takes exactly same time every brew. Hard to remember early days three years ago when I counted to bubbles in the air lock.

im all ready for bottling tomorrow, if the temperature is ok of course. ive read a few things about putting sugar in the bottles,or making a mix and adding it to the brew before bottling. Any suggestions ?

Have you got another bucket or fv? The easiest way to prime your beer is to make a syrup with your primer, cool it to around 21°c, then syphon your beer into it (try not to let the beer splash), then bottle it from the second bucket. You can prime each bottle but it is a faff!

Simple answer yes. Use a funnel so it does not stick to sides so stopping good seal of cap. It does not need much around 2ml i.e. half a tea spoon. If you add to fermentor you would need to stir it which will disturb the sediment and by time it has settled the yeast will have used the extra sugar. Remember fill from bottom of bottle if you let it free air from top you will get loads of foam forming and you will need to top up every bottle, also you are getting air into the beer. Sugar will mix in time no need to do anything about any grains at bottom of bottle. I would use plastic bottles 2 litre pop bottles work well you can squeeze side to test pressure can't do that with glass.

my hydrometer reading is 1008...the brew is now 15 days old. the instructions with the brew say bottle at 1006...do I leave it for a few days?

Correction...the instructions on the hydrometer say 1006.....the ones with the beer say 1008.

Well ive bottled it....I now have 45 bottles of cloudy ale...I will leave it for a fortnight. I believe thats correct?

Well ive bottled it....I now have 45 bottles of cloudy ale...I will leave it for a fortnight. I believe thats correct?

2 weeks in the warm (to carbonate) and then 2 weeks somewhere cooler (to clear/condition).

You can can try it then but your brew will usally improve and clear more if left a bit longer cool conditioning.

the wifes made me put it in the shed so i have wrapped a mattress around the crates to try and keep it warm....god only knows if that will work

the wifes made me put it in the shed so i have wrapped a mattress around the crates to try and keep it warm....god only knows if that will work

It certainly will, but it may take a while, which is the uncertainty!

The more constant the temperature, the less the yeast will get stressed, so insulation is a good idea, given that the shed seems to be where it has got to go.

Latest posts

Back