You've got to laugh !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redron

Regular.
Reaction score
So, after a much maligned first AG brew (see 'first AG stopped'), I came to bottle it today after three weeks in the FV and still at 1018 despite adding additional wort and yeast and stirring it and beating the hell out of it with a whisk to try and get some oxygen into it.
Result, a pissy and weak beer . Still, waste not want not ,so I set to bottle it (10L).
Bottles all cleaned and lined up, lifted the lid on my FV to find a 'J' cloth sat inside in my beer ! Seems after the initial vigorous fermentation (oh the irony!), I used the cloth to wipe up the spillover and left it on the top of another FV , when I came to faff with this brew I must have put the lid on top of the cloth and it has stuck to the lid as I put it back on and not noticed.
This was the final straw on what has been a time consuming and disasterous brew in an effort to use up some leftover grain and hops from my partial mashes.

Anyway, the upshot is, it does'nt seem to have ruined the beer as yet, it tastes ok, if a little weak and pissy... Time will tell I guess but it's an example of how resilient beer can be and how hard it can be to kill it.

Update.

Two weeks on.
Wee taster today and it's flippin lovely ! Quite light and hoppy but with no 'j' cloth overtones....
For a first AG brew I am very pleased with myself despite the trials and tribulations along the way. Miles away from my previous kit beers and noticeably better than the partial mash brews.

This brew was given every chance to fail, despite that it has come up very well indeed and just shows how beer can be resilient and hard to 'kill' .:drink:

Update.

Two weeks on.
Wee taster today and it's flippin lovely ! Quite light and hoppy but with no 'j' cloth overtones....
For a first AG brew I am very pleased with myself despite the trials and tribulations along the way. Miles away from my previous kit beers and noticeably better than the partial mash brews.

This brew was given every chance to fail, despite that it has come up very well indeed and just shows how beer can be resilient and hard to 'kill' .:drink:

It is funny how many mistakes we can make and we worry yet it still turns out great!! :clap:

So you a full dark side convert then?

Back