Is this fridge big enough for a corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://groups.freecycle.org/group/Farnborough_AldershotUK/posts/50228956/Hotpoint%20Larder%20Fridge

See above link. My corny is only 63cms tall and the external measurement of the fridge is 85cm. Does anyone know if the internal measurements are likely to be ok for my keg?

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/Farnborough_AldershotUK/posts/50228956/Hotpoint%20Larder%20Fridge

See above link. My corny is only 63cms tall and the external measurement of the fridge is 85cm. Does anyone know if the internal measurements are likely to be ok for my keg?

I have a undercounter fridge & I was able to get 2 cornies in, it was good for starters and proving concepts, I now have a larder fridge and am able to house 3 cornies and the CO2.

The guy has been really cool but, when he told me the internal dimensions he didn't include the salad drawer. When I asked he said "The salad container is only 20 cm deep because of the bulge behind for the compressor. Unless your keg is only 20cm deep it just will not fit."

By 'deep' I assume he means 'breadth'? Is a corny only 20cm 'deep'? I'm confused! I've also taken the corny along in the boot of my car so that when I meet him after work I can try the fridge on for size. Tempted to get it as a beer fridge anyway.

For under counter larder fridges you ideally need to be able to remove the salad drawer and the shelf it sits below, this is where the corny will sit, the door shelves will either need to be removable or extremely slim so has not to hit the corny when the door is closed, if planning on putting 2 cornies in then watch for the light/thermostat housing as this may well need relocated. The compressor housing shelf can be used to hold a few bottles but generally for an under counter larder fridge you wont be able to set a corny on top of it. You will need a few inches of clearance above the corny to allow some room for connections and pipe.

Attached is a picture; it fits like a dream!

IMG_20150924_165727.jpg

I was able to get 2 in mine, can't recall if I made a shelf and they stood on top of the compressor portion to the rear, I also had to remove the thermostat control.

I have remote taps but came through the door with the beer and gas lines (no cooling coils there). I did find the door was pretty flimsy so you may need to do a bit of beefing up if mounting taps. Good idea though.

Those sound fancy. May I see your setup?

Here goes

DSCF5176.jpg

Hopefully that worked as am on my hols using my iPhone (best money I ever spent).
I have been collecting Newquay Steam Beer stuff for years and wanted to put the keg taps to good use. Have a ships engine tiller indoors tha I need to get working. One day....

I do plan to move the workbench over the winter to make it into a bar.

I just took the top cover of mine, a mate made me up two right angle brackets (5mm steel) which i bolted to the fridge top cover in below the top, my beer taps then fitted thru the brackets (22mm hole required). I had the brackets made high enough to allow room for a pint glass sitting on a drip tray, beer line is easily kept out of sight down the back of the fridge and routed thru the compressor housing. I will probably end up making a small wooden housing to cover the brackets with which will also create a shelf to set glasses on. The two brackets where easy to aquire and fit and got me up and running in no time, 4 spouting bolts and 12 washers plus the two brackets was all it took.

Dad's_ale: I have just had the brewing equivalent to penis-envy...

I think I'm likely to go with the front tap through the door. A cooling tower would be good but requires more faff and I much prefer adding more taps as and when I need them whereas if I get a cooling tower with one tap (I only have one corny) I feel like I might be condemning myself to just the one beer on tap!

Now, to do it on the cheap...is it worth getting stainless steel taps rather than brass?

If you decide to go thru the door you will need taps with a longer thread on them to facilitate clamping it tight http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036V8QY2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 the diagram on there will give you an idea on the threaded length part you need on each tap. The nut to the tap backplate is probably in the region on there of 3 to 4 inches, click on image then you can click on each part in the top right corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone and done it (and incurred 'the look' from SWMBO) and bought a big bottle of CO2 (and it is bloody big!) The thing looks like the bomb that got to Jim and Hilda in 'When the Wind Blows'. It doesn't fit into my mini-fridge so I now have to consider drilling a hole for the line to go in. Where should this hole ideally be?

Drill thru the compressor shelf at the back towards the corner, don't drill thru the fridge walls as these contain very small gas pipes, look in under the back of the fridge where the motor sits and check first for any wiring, piping before drilling, don't place the fridge on its side or front unless you let it stand upright again for at least 24 hours before turning back on.

They are on the inside of the green/red line, marked lbf/in2 (which is pounds per square inch, or psi). Just so's you know, 1 bar = 14.7 psi - you can see that the '10' marked on the inside is between 1/2 and one bar.....

Latest posts

Back