Instant cooler - Lindr PYGMY 20 & photos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not something you come across often on the forums, the Lindr PYGMY instant beer cooler.

I bought version "20", which reportedly allows cooling of 20l per hour. At the time of writing you can get it delivered to the UK, on site ich-zapfe for example, for 317.90 EUR or 234 pounds delivered. I imagine, like mine, it will come with a euro plug, but no big deal, just get an adapter. The "K" versions come with an air compressor to push out the beer; good for a wedding marquee when it's all drunk in one go, but not good for us home brewers. Good for us then that the non-K versions are much cheaper.

It serves the same purpose as a Maxi cooler, but rather than the beer running through a chilled water bank, it runs directly through the chilling unit. So where a Maxi might take 4 hours to cool from warm, the Lindr takes 5 minutes.

I chose this over a dedicated fridge as it's such a small unit, and with no yearly running cost. I saw this first time years ago but overlooked it as it looked too professional for me, a simple homebrewer. But when you factor in the price of a fridge and its yearly running costs, it really starts to look interesting. And you can't ignore the wow factor.

Tonight my cellar was at 20.5 degrees, and after the first cooling cycle, which took 5m10s, I poured a beer at 8.3 degrees. About a minute later after the second cooling cycle, I pulled a second beer at 6.6 degrees. And it gets colder from there if you want it. It has a dial which reportedly allows you to select from 5 degree to 15 degree. I always have it on maximum, but I only switch on the unit as I need it.

I'm still playing with this a bit, but it's looking like 1m of 3/16 tubing is enough (after the about 1 foot of 3/8 that came attached to my cornie out). You'll see in the photo that there is not a lot going on behind.

Here the pics then...
Capture1a_zps3yenucsb.jpg

Capture1_zps4le83xvb.jpg

Capture5_zpslqz5cdmw.jpg

Capture2_zpssgqlkzgc.jpg

Capture6_zpsldvzldfk.jpg

Capture3_zpstvkmxsct.jpg

Just curious why the OP went for this instead of a cheaper brew fridge? To carbonate the beer, it's better if the beer is chilled so I don't think it's an optimal system.

Where these systems seem good is mini keg use.

someone woke up cynical ;)
if space is a premium these machines trump shelf chillers, instant on, no 30min+ wait for a waterbath to chill down, and i bet its a lot quieter and cooler running than a maxi too ;) not cheap but these things pour beer (fizzy lagers too) in hot climates with kegs sat under the bar..

Revived this thread to get some feedback on this unit,I hope Fore is still perusing this forum.
HELLO.ARE YOU THERE FORE

I'm here I'm here :smile:. Well I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I resisted a fridge due to delivery issues, general size, need for adaptation, constant power draw, etc. I also thought I might eventually get a fridge for fermentation, and to have two extra fridges is pushing it a bit. Really liked the idea of a Maxi cooler, but didn't like the size and certainly not the 4 hour wait! As an engineer I just thought "wouldn't it be good if you could run beer directly through a cooling element, it would be quick and cheap to run". Then I saw the Lindr and got pulled in really. It's not cheap, so it's for those for whom homebrew is an exciting hobby into which to invest, not a cost saving exercise. That said, I also worked out that it would save quite a lot on fridge running costs, so over its lifetime would probably pay for itself. It really puts the finishing touch to my compact semi-professional bar area, as you can see in the pictures.

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

I have been considering a similar setup.
Can you tell us where you purchased the Lindr tap?
If you mean the flash cooler unit that comes with the tap then the link is in the thread,.....no its not,I will dig it out and post it forth with, and at £250 its the dogs, wish I had had the two tap model now.highly reccomended,pretty quiet very cheap to run and no fear of any leaks

https://goo.gl/hF7jpM
here you go Rulin,ordering is easy just use an online translator and if you pay by paypal it adds around £8 for the conversion of pounds sterling to euros so the final bill was around £256 I know see that that is the total cost minus the exchange rate so it has gone up a few quid another tenner,nothing really
If you do order make sure you order one without the compressor which is the one in the link

https://goo.gl/hF7jpM
here you go Rulin,ordering is easy just use an online translator and if you pay by paypal it adds around �£8 for the conversion of pounds sterling to euros so the final bill was around �£256 I know see that that is the total cost minus the exchange rate so it has gone up a few quid another tenner,nothing really
If you do order make sure you order one without the compressor which is the one in the link

i have jist ordered this online thanks for the info i almost paid £500 for one today from the draught beer online website , it looks great for my kitchen when i dont want to spend my time in my man cave , i ordered the 30l one i hope i get a tap with it as i cant tell as it was all in german and my google translate would not work thanks again.

The tap certainly comes with it you just have to assemble it on the unit,30litre is it still a one tap unit?, either way you'll be well pleased with it a cracking bit of kit

Yeah just a one tap unit for now , at that price I think it is great and can't wait for it to come , thanks again for the info , I am making a home bar in my garage but want an alternative for my kitchen , the kit I saw used a Sankey beer keg but I'm looking to use a few corney kegs instead , I assume it's an easy set up either way.

Yeah just a one tap unit for now , at that price I think it is great and can't wait for it to come , thanks again for the info , I am making a home bar in my garage but want an alternative for my kitchen , the kit I saw used a Sankey beer keg but I'm looking to use a few corney kegs instead , I assume it's an easy set up either way.
yup pretty easy to set up to a cornie,a john guest 3/8 elbow out is a must to keep the out line tight to the unit rather than an inline one,that way the units back can be kept closer to a wall,i connect with a 3/8 od silicon milk hose (like milk hose for its suppleness and flexibility) around 3 feet long with a short piece of hard 3/8 tubing crimped onto the end and use a 3/8 JG shut off valve to isolate the line between the keg and pygmy.as in the pic inside my bar

IMG_20160923_225017566[1].jpg

If you mean the flash cooler unit that comes with the tap then the link is in the thread,.....no its not,I will dig it out and post it forth with, and at �£250 its the dogs, wish I had had the two tap model now.highly reccomended,pretty quiet very cheap to run and no fear of any leaks

That does look like a nice bit of kit. Do you know if the two tap model is much bigger?

yup pretty easy to set up to a cornie,a john guest 3/8 elbow out is a must to keep the out line tight to the unit rather than an inline one,that way the units back can be kept closer to a wall,i connect with a 3/8 od silicon milk hose (like milk hose for its suppleness and flexibility) around 3 feet long with a short piece of hard 3/8 tubing crimped onto the end and use a 3/8 JG shut off valve to isolate the line between the keg and pygmy.as in the pic inside my bar

Do you remember how long delivery was it says 1-2 days , surely not from Germany I know the Germans are super efficient but can't be that quick , my order says revision required and has been like that since Friday I take it won't be processed till Monday

:mrgreen:
Do you remember how long delivery was it says 1-2 days , surely not from Germany I know the Germans are super efficient but can't be that quick , my order says revision required and has been like that since Friday I take it won't be processed till Monday
think it was 3 working days not too bad for a delivery from the geermans

These are super popular in Japan. Because there are no storage space for kegs so almost every shop uses these. Good thing is, tons of used ones for sale at great prices, around 80 pounds.

I'm newbie so learning as much as I can about everything I can. What's the process for setting these up? (Preferably from the 'sucking eggs' viewpoint if someone is willing to take the time to show basics too)

These look fantastic, I've only room for my brew fridge so this looks ideal for space saving

Latest posts

Back