thermometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlad

Reaction score
hi all can anyone recommend a good digital thermometer with a probe suitable for biab style brewing ,ones i have seen on e bay start about 3 pound just wondering if they any good or better spending a bit more and getting a better produck cheers lagerlad

I think it's probably pot luck on the cheapo chinese thermometers. I bought one and it was all over the place so I chucked it. I bought a different one recommended by (I think) Tony1951 and it's out by 0.8 of a degree at both the top and bottom ends so I can simply adjust for that

must say i just bit the bullet and bought a thermapen.

arrived today....bloody hell its fast....no more having a smoke while the glass ones work...

well not until i drop it in to the kettle

Agreed the eBay ones are a bit pot luck. I've got 2 one almost spot on and the other is ****.

The ones I have only go up to 50-55 Celsius so no good for mashing, worth checking before you buy.

I've got the Landmann BBQ one - got it I think from Tesco direct aboout a year ago for £12 from memory. Can't find it for less than £20 now unfortunately but I have been well happy with it. Still as good as new after several partial mashes and now moved onto full BIAB all grain.

It's wireless in the sense you can have the LCD screened control panel away from the wired probe. Plus it has a very neat feature which allows you to set a target temperature with an alarm sounding when that temperature is reached.

This is it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H96QFK2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
must say i just bit the bullet and bought a thermapen.

arrived today....bloody hell its fast....no more having a smoke while the glass ones work...

well not until i drop it in to the kettle

I've just got one of those as well, very impressed so far and obviously it's multipurpose so you can use it to check meat as well as for your brew.

My �£3 ebay digital probe thermometer is slightly out at about 20*C, and for �£3 I would probably buy another. I have three liquid in glass thermometers and each one gives a separate reading for the same conditions.
Once calibrated for error at known temperatures say ice and steam as someone else has said that's all that's really needed. Home brewing is not equivalent to working at the National Physical Laboratory.

The Ikea one I posted earlier has an alarm you can set to go off when a certain temperature is reached. I've found that pretty useful.

Thanks everyone for your input thought I would go for the Ikea one as £7.25 seems reasonable for a product recommended by another brewer.....the postage was £7.50 !!!!!dearer than the thermometer...e bay Chinese one it looks like!!!!!cheers lagerlad🍺

I bought two Chinese ones for next to nothing and they were pretty accurate........ until my son put one in our swimming pool. It went haywire for a couple of weeks, but now it seems to have settled down and is with .5 degree of the other one.

The pool was too cold to swim in by the way

I am not sure I would trust them... didn't those two Scottish lads use them and were getting awful efficiency off their brews until they swapped it out..

my pot has a thermometer stick in it which i handy but I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H96QFK2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

but there is no way I spent £20 on it.. I checked my order history and I bought it for £7.50 :?

Last edited by a moderator:
No Ikea nearby then I take it? Pm me your address if you want, I'll get one and post it to you, in return for you putting postage cost in charity box of your choice?

Latest posts

Back