Looking for advice on building a cheap cool box mash tun.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello

I have been updating my brewing kit recently, having brought a cheap 30l buffalo boiler which i am going to use to get started in all grain brewing.

As money is a bit tight, i have decided that the best way will be to build my own mash tun. I have had a look around, ebay etc, at cheap cool boxes. Does anyone have any recommendations how to approach a budget style mash tun build and what other equipment i will need (taps, fittings etc), plus the best size box to go for, 24l, 35l? I realize an issue with cheap cool boxes is the lack of insulation, but i have seen some people get around this problem buy using builders foam, extra insulation or just wrapping it in a sleeping bag.

Any advice would be great, i would buy a custom built mash tun from an home brew shop, but i dont fancy shelling out £80 for something i hopefully could make a lot cheaper.

Thanks

Hello

I have been updating my brewing kit recently, having brought a cheap 30l buffalo boiler which i am going to use to get started in all grain brewing.

As money is a bit tight, i have decided that the best way will be to build my own mash tun. I have had a look around, ebay etc, at cheap cool boxes. Does anyone have any recommendations how to approach a budget style mash tun build and what other equipment i will need (taps, fittings etc), plus the best size box to go for, 24l, 35l? I realize an issue with cheap cool boxes is the lack of insulation, but i have seen some people get around this problem buy using builders foam, extra insulation or just wrapping it in a sleeping bag.

Any advice would be great, i would buy a custom built mash tun from an home brew shop, but i dont fancy shelling out �£80 for something i hopefully could make a lot cheaper.

Thanks

Hi,

I built my own using a 'how to' on YouTube, can get on there at work but will post a link later if no one else does.

Mark

Cant find the youtube clip i used.

But very quickly i did this:

I got this from the range

http://www.therange.co.uk/ice-box---grey-/lime-35l//the-range/fcp-product/91976

a can of expandable foam.

pulled the box apart and filled with foam (wear the gloves they provide!!)

pushed back together and left to set. i also drilled a few holes into the hollow lid and filled with foam.

Then drilled a hole to fit ball valve tap.

made the filter from copper piping.

Anything else just ask.

Cant find the youtube clip i used.

But very quickly i did this:

I got this from the range

http://www.therange.co.uk/ice-box---grey-/lime-35l//the-range/fcp-product/91976

a can of expandable foam.

pulled the box apart and filled with foam (wear the gloves they provide!!)

pushed back together and left to set. i also drilled a few holes into the hollow lid and filled with foam.

Then drilled a hole to fit ball valve tap.

made the filter from copper piping.

Anything else just ask.

Thanks for that, i wanted to make sure that i brought a cool box that was easily compatible. Can i ask where you brought your brought your ball valve tap, plus the size of the tap/piping that you used?

Thanks for that, i wanted to make sure that i brought a cool box that was easily compatible. Can i ask where you brought your brought your ball valve tap, plus the size of the tap/piping that you used?

All that came from B&Q, used 15mm pipe/valve.

I used a 24L cool box. Bought from The Range. £12! Put a plastic tap on it with a plastic tube inserted internally :D drilled with holes to act as a strainer. Used the wrap around sleeping bag method when I did my first all grain mash and only lost 1 degree over 60 minutes.

I use a 24L coolbox and find its good for up to 5%ABV in 23L batches if you want to go above that you need to reduce batch size so if you want to make alot of strong beers 30L+ would be better. I use 1 of these http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Bazooka_Small_Screen.html#.VgvMP_lVhBc inside which you can force the thread to screw into this tap http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Bin_Fermenter_tap.html#.VgvMdPlVhBc so all cheap easy and works.

Hi Simon, is that the only 2 fittings needed except PTFE tape/ sealant? I was going to head to B&Q and source what I need but if that's all required I'll go for that. (I have a 24L Coolbox, £8 in Poundland)

Hi Simon, is that the only 2 fittings needed except PTFE tape/ sealant? I was going to head to B&Q and source what I need but if that's all required I'll go for that. (I have a 24L Coolbox, ��£8 in Poundland)

Yes thats it, you likely even have the same cool box as me. No PTFE tape was used on mine but I did use a bit of silicone round the seal. Note you really have to force the thread inside the plastic tap.

Thanks Simon, I've seen other threads and Youtube videos but I was still unsure what exact parts I needed to build one. I've ordered the 2 parts you mentioned and will get to building as soon as they arrive.

You've been really helpful.

Sorry to bring this old chestnut back to the top but I have an additional question on this....The cool box and tap/filter bit is easy enough but what about the spray mechanism for sparging?? or is it acceptable to just gently pour the water over the top to rince out the wort?

As an update, I made a Mashtun with the 2 parts that Simon listed and it worked a treat. I cut my hole wrong and had a leak but it was fixed with bathroom sealer out of Poundland. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=520824&postcount=7

I drizzled my sparge water over the pace of about an hour Spinks trying to get the water to hit every part of the grains. It seems to have worked great.

Latest posts

Back