Brewnight: Cheeky vimto (punch)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine took ages to ferment (I mean weeks) and it was still above 1000 when I binned it, I don't believe boiling gets rid of all the preservative if any.

hmmm..

still no signs of life, will move it to warmer place at the weekend and give it another week I think

the last punch I made needed to be around 26deg to get going

Binned it.. still not a glimmer after a week, even if it did miraculously start, it would likely take ages and not have enough oompff left in the yeasties for carbonation...

bawbags 😠

patience isn't one of my strong points.... onwards !!

So Roddy, do you think it was the preservatives?

It's just that the syrup I bought to put in my cider has preservatives. I can't find any syrup without.
I wonder if I might have the same problem. I guess the only way I'll find out is next time I do cider
I'll have to prime a few bottles with the syrup I have.

yeh I reckon... I've other similar ones with cordial done the same way and they worked out ok

maybe this cordial had more preservatives than most...

yeh not sure that would affect priming a cider, depends on how much preservative boils off eh ?

Or different.
the syrup I have has 223 & E223 Sodium Meta bisulfite or Sodium Metabisulphite preservatives

Vimto has Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate),

just having a guess.

Or different.
the syrup I have has 223 & E223 Sodium Meta bisulfite or Sodium Metabisulphite preservatives

Vimto has Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate),

just having a guess.

yeh good call, I looked up the ingredients for the last one I made that worked, and that had all of the above in it !

Latest posts

Back