Second BIAB Brew - All Citra Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexislife

Reaction score
Started my second brew on Sunday, with the help of the brewers friend iphone app and looking at various other recipes for reference I concocted the below which is now fermenting away in the kitchen cupboard.

3kg Maris Otter
500g Cara Malt
500g Munich

Citra - 20g @ 60min
Citra - 15g @ 15min
Citra - 10g @ 10min
Citra - 15g @ 0min

Citra - 20g Dry hop 3days

Yeast - Safe ale US05
Target OG 1.047 and got 1.044
Boil Size was 26l hoping to get 20l ended up with around 18.5l

One thing I learned from this one is don't brew after having only 4 hours sleep, I think I may have made a couple of avoidable mistakes but generally I think everything should be ok.

Took a gravity reading of this yesterday, seems its not far off what the FG should be, looking, smelling and (from the small sip I took) tasting good already.

BR2W.JPG

love to see how this turns out i love citra beers

It turned out really nice have brewed it a couple of times now, only got a few of bottles left knocking around in the back of the cupboard. I think next time I brew it I'll be using a different hop for bittering though to leave me more Citra to use later on in the boil.

It turned out really nice have brewed it a couple of times now, only got a few of bottles left knocking around in the back of the cupboard. I think next time I brew it I'll be using a different hop for bittering though to leave me more Citra to use later on in the boil.

Yes, good idea. Herkules or Admiral, for instance, are cheap and cheerful for this purpose.

Yes, good idea. Herkules or Admiral, for instance, are cheap and cheerful for this purpose.

I've used Target with Citra before which I believe is similar to Admiral and that turned out great.

My recommendation would be Columbus. High AA for bittering and would compliment citra late in the boil or in a dry hop

Back