Which WOW for a beginner?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphysmum

Reaction score
Happy Friday!

I'll start with just one of my long list of what if? how? why? and should I?

I like white wine as an everyday type of drink, saving the reds for Sunday lunches etc.

I am going to start my first supermarket fruit juice wine over the weekend and am asking which one you think would be best for a beginner like me (in case it helps my absolute favourite is Chablis around the £10.00 a bottle mark, but I'm not a Chardonnay fan). I know I'm not going to make a Chablis, but hopefully it gives an idea of the type of flavours I like!

Thanks in advance.

White grape juice is about as easy to find as rocking horse sh!te and has been for months so making an easy white may not be that easy, red grape juice is much easier to find and that along with a litre of apple juice makes a great tasting rose type wine, red grape juice does not make red wine.

Have a look at this thread and replace the orange juice and white grape juice with a litre of red grape juice and a litre of apple juice. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thanks for that - I had a feeling my first question may lead on to another one! I do have a can of white grape juice concentrate that I bought to add to my apple wine but I've not used it. Can I substitute that for white grape juice? If thats a yes I can feel 2 wines being started this weekend!

So far I've tried RGJ X2, RGJ + Pomegranate and a RGJ + Apple+Pear, they are all a fruity easily drinkable Rose type wine, I've a RGJ+Apple and a RGJ+Raspberry+Blueberry+Apple currently fermenting, White grape juice is hard to come by (where i am anyways) but i would expect it to be a similar flavour to the RGJ based ones with colour being the only real difference.

If its a wine in a similar vein to a "popular" wine you want then a kit may be more in line but certainly try a WoW, with the cost being of a very drinkable WoW being in the 50-90p a bottle compared to a £5 min in a shop its a no brainer, 30 bottle kits will probably work out at a £1.00 a bottle for the cheaper ranges (expect to get about 27 bottles). A WoW is a good starting point though as you can walk thru the process, see if you like it and move on from there, hope that helps.

White grape juice is about as easy to find as rocking horse sh!te and has been for months so making an easy white may not be that easy, red grape juice is much easier to find and that along with a litre of apple juice makes a great tasting rose type wine, red grape juice does not make red wine.

Have a look at this thread and replace the orange juice and white grape juice with a litre of red grape juice and a litre of apple juice. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

I contacted these guys http://www.stute-foods.com/itemdetl.php?itemprcd=prod24 with RE to a distributor in NI (who coincidentally rang me back this morning but i missed the call:doh:) They have an email addy there that may be worth trying for a sales outlet in your area for WGJ, longshot i know but nowt ventured...

Thanks I cant wait to get a couple on the go now!

I have made some of the kits - have to say I really like the elderflower one, enough for me to have bought a second! I did leave it a while longer before bottling it than the 7 - 10 days but it still tastes really good!

Tesco direct sale when they happen is a good place to pick up the kits for a good price.

Thanks - I'll keep my eyes open for that. I didn't even know they sold things like that to be honest.

To slightly paraphrase James Bond in Diamonds are Forever, Chablis is in fact a chardonnay! The best ingredient to emulate it is gooseberries, which are hard to find fresh in shops. Tesco usually sell tinned ones, but £1 for a drained weight of 115 g works out expensive for the amount (1.5 kilos) required, plus 500 g of grape juice concentrate and a handful of fresh elderflowers which are unavailable now. However, I have made a good white Burgundy style wine using orange juice instead of gooseberries and you can substitute elderflowers with yellow rose petals and honey instead of sugar. Due to the lack of white grape juice and the high cost of concentrate, I use minced sultanas at the rate of 250 g per litre of juice required. Apricots, fresh, dried or as a juice can also be used instead of gooseberries.

Thanks for that - I never knew Chablis and Chardonnay are related! and I must just be weird to really like one but not the other!

Anyhow ................................. I bought a few different juices at the weekend, red grape mango, apple & raspberry, tropical and a cranberry. I just now need to get the started, which was the plan for the weekend, but the 2 gallons of apple wine sort of took over! but that is now doing the hubble bubble ferments no trouble trick.

The postman delivered me a couple of goodies today too. A mead liquor kit I found on e-bay that I really want to get started and a dinky 2 litre oak barrel to mature something - not sure what yet!

Oh and I've done something that will either be fantastic or a total disaster - only time will tell. I had about 1/2 gallon of cider in a fermenting bucket and after putting the apple wine in the demijohns had about /2 gallon left over ..................... so, well they are both apple! and I needed the spare bucket! Its fermenting nicely, goodness knows what it will taste like!

Thanks for that - I never knew Chablis and Chardonnay are related! and I must just be weird to really like one but not the other!

Anyhow ................................. I bought a few different juices at the weekend, red grape mango, apple & raspberry, tropical and a cranberry. I just now need to get the started, which was the plan for the weekend, but the 2 gallons of apple wine sort of took over! but that is now doing the hubble bubble ferments no trouble trick.

The postman delivered me a couple of goodies today too. A mead liquor kit I found on e-bay that I really want to get started and a dinky 2 litre oak barrel to mature something - not sure what yet!

Oh and I've done something that will either be fantastic or a total disaster - only time will tell. I had about 1/2 gallon of cider in a fermenting bucket and after putting the apple wine in the demijohns had about /2 gallon left over ..................... so, well they are both apple! and I needed the spare bucket! Its fermenting nicely, goodness knows what it will taste like!

Back