Bottle shelf

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
So I've been desperately looking for crates or a shelf to store the beer bottles but everything is made for wine and not cheap either if you do find sth. I had half of an old bookshelf lying around so I chopped it in hald again, sanded it and painted it white to match the garage. I got some clear corrugate roof panel from wickes to hold the bottles et voila! I reckon the roof panel are good to use in the fridge, too :)

beershelf.jpg

beershelf2.jpg

Are these full bottles? One would normally keep bottled beer upright to get the yeast onto the bottom. Have you layed them on their side because wheat beer is treated differently?

Are these full bottles? One would normally keep bottled beer upright to get the yeast onto the bottom. Have you layed them on their side because wheat beer is treated differently?

^ what he said, unless they are having (atleast) 24hrs upright in the fridge before consumption you might find them very yeasty....

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UKKHTnHefcA[/ame]

Weiss beers are intended to have everything from the bottle end up in the glass, so storing the on their sides won't be an issue. Other beers, different story! Have a look at the above - I favour the second (inverted bottle) method, although if you get it wrong it can be spectacular!

^ what he said, unless they are having (atleast) 24hrs upright in the fridge before consumption you might find them very yeasty....

Thanks for pointing that out. I actually didn't know that but luckily at this moment in time it is only wheat beer. The lager is still in the fv. Should I sure I that differently then until I drink it or just for a few weeks after fermenting?

But thinking about it... What difference does it make to the yeast whether it is upside down, normal or sideways?

The fridge is getting restocked usually days in advance unless I forgot, if that helps. But then again the bottles also lay in the fridge...?

Thanks for pointing that out. I actually didn't know that but luckily at this moment in time it is only wheat beer. The lager is still in the fv. Should I sure I that differently then until I drink it or just for a few weeks after fermenting?

But thinking about it... What difference does it make to the yeast whether it is upside down, normal or sideways?

The fridge is getting restocked usually days in advance unless I forgot, if that helps. But then again the bottles also lay in the fridge...?
If you keep the bottles upright, the yeast sinks to the bottom, and if you pour carefully, none of it ends up in your glass. So, nice clear pint, and no gout! (I believe there was a thread a while back pointing out drinking too much crud from your bottles can cause it, and is very painful). If bottles are laid on their side, yeast etc will fall to the lowest point. As you bring your bottles to the vertical to open, it will slide down the bottle, mixing with your beer as it does so. Cloudy beer, gout!

oh you just mean because of the yeast settling on the side of the bottle and that would pour into the glass? I get it! I usually always have some bottles in the fridge so that shouldn't be an issue. But alternatively, if I have space, I could also just stand the bottles on the shelf ;)

If you keep the bottles upright, the yeast sinks to the bottom, and if you pour carefully, none of it ends up in your glass. So, nice clear pint, and no gout! (I believe there was a thread a while back pointing out drinking too much crud from your bottles can cause it, and is very painful). If bottles are laid on their side, yeast etc will fall to the lowest point. As you bring your bottles to the vertical to open, it will slide down the bottle, mixing with your beer as it does so. Cloudy beer, gout!

What about cloudy beer styles? Surely gout is not just caused by that? My neighbour had/has gout and well, he always drinks shop bought beer (I don't even know if he drank much). Also, does it even happen to women? :D :P and how much of that beer would you have to drink to get gout? you've got me all worried now lol!

I did wonder as well whether it would make sense to filter beer with a tea filter or coffee filter or would that take too much "goodness" out of it and prevent proper conditioning?

http://goutandyou.com/gout-and-alcohol/

As for filtering I wouldn't bother - it might very well make conditioning slower, at the very least. And I have to say (kiss of death coming right my way now) I drink cloudy beer, eat marmite etc etc and never had a bout of gout! As for cloudy beer, a pewter tankard helps.

Oh, and men are more susceptible than women, apparently!

What about cloudy beer styles? Surely gout is not just caused by that? My neighbour had/has gout and well, he always drinks shop bought beer (I don't even know if he drank much). Also, does it even happen to women? :D :P and how much of that beer would you have to drink to get gout? you've got me all worried now lol!

I did wonder as well whether it would make sense to filter beer with a tea filter or coffee filter or would that take too much "goodness" out of it and prevent proper conditioning?

http://goutandyou.com/gout-and-alcohol/

As for filtering I wouldn't bother - it might very well make conditioning slower, at the very least. And I have to say (kiss of death coming right my way now) I drink cloudy beer, eat marmite etc etc and never had a bout of gout! As for cloudy beer, a pewter tankard helps.

Oh, and men are more susceptible than women, apparently!

I like cloudy beer, I actually would rather brew cloudy beer than clear lol :D i knew it had or could have to do with beer and alcohol as my neighbour was told not to drink any beer (at least while he had a phase of gout, which I think he had about twice a year or so).

so how does pewter help? that's interesting.

So is it the alcohol that can cause gout or the cloudiness and trub? Sounds like the alc or purines are the culprit from what I've read so far, are those in the trub then?

Interesting what they say about Newcastle or Corona, though. That's why I prefer to drink German beer whenever I can - they may use things during production (apparently hardly anything is just brewed with barley, yeast and hops) but it would be things they filter out in the end (like enzymes to filter etc. I need to find an article on that. I just saw sth on telly and it was very interesting but also very technical as at the time, the only way I knew how to get beer was to open a shop bought bottle :D)

I have quite a few steins too - I lived in Germany for a while, and had an absolute blast! Never visited Coburg, but really love the Hartz, Oberammergau and basically anywhere South of Munich!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UKKHTnHefcA

Weiss beers are intended to have everything from the bottle end up in the glass, so storing the on their sides won't be an issue. Other beers, different story! Have a look at the above - I favour the second (inverted bottle) method, although if you get it wrong it can be spectacular!
Due to lack of space in the fridge I put 4 bottles in on their side yesterday. I tipped them gently to try not to disturb the yeast. I drank them today and looked at clarity before opening and all looked good. I poured one and thought I would keep going until I saw yeast coming out but poured it all without any yeast coming out. The yeast is stuck to the bottom like glue so I'm well pleased. 4 bottles today and not a drop wasted. Slightly thin tasting stout that's been maturing for about 8 weeks. It has a nice head that disappeared after about 1 minute. I'm going to start another Coopers stout on Friday but will look up on adding grain and something to give it more body.
Sorry for going off topic, I've started building crates for storage but will put the bottles flat in the fridge for chilling.

Due to lack of space in the fridge I put 4 bottles in on their side yesterday. I tipped them gently to try not to disturb the yeast. I drank them today and looked at clarity before opening and all looked good. I poured one and thought I would keep going until I saw yeast coming out but poured it all without any yeast coming out. The yeast is stuck to the bottom like glue so I'm well pleased. 4 bottles today and not a drop wasted. Slightly thin tasting stout that's been maturing for about 8 weeks. It has a nice head that disappeared after about 1 minute. I'm going to start another Coopers stout on Friday but will look up on adding grain and something to give it more body.
Sorry for going off topic, I've started building crates for storage but will put the bottles flat in the fridge for chilling.

Yeah that' the issue I (probably most of us) have - I will have to lay the bottles in the fridge. So even if I have enough space for storing them standing up on a shelf, most of them will have to lie on their side in the fridge. I'll see if I can clear more space in the fridge door but as you know it won't take too many bottles. Fine for me and my partner, but if you have a friend round or two, it might get a bit tricky.

Latest posts

Back