60l fv

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevvied

Life Support System For A Beer Belly
Reaction score
I was doing a quick job at a house this morning (I'm a Locksmith, not a burglar) and the fella there had a brew on the go in a 60L FV.
He told me he brewed 53L batches at a time (four times a year) to get 100 bottles of beer, each batch.
As an aside, as a bitter drinker, he told me every batch was the same. 3 single kit bitter cans, 2.5KG brewing sugar and 2 jars of Holland & Barrett Malt Extract. All 3 kit yeasts and 'half a tub' of yeast nutrient.
(I left his house with two bottles, and they were terrific)
He told me he left every brew in the FV for 4 weeks and had never once taken a gravity reading! Had never had a dodgy brew either.

His setup has really got me thinking. I love most brews, but am predominantly a Stout drinker, so am very much thinking of getting hold of a big FV myself, to knock up a big brew myself.
Has anyone experience of these bigger FVs?
Of course an obvious downside would be a bad brew, being a BIG bad brew, so a lot of waste. But, barring a disaster, bottling up 100 bottles sounds terrific to me!
Thoughts? Is there an obvious downside I'm not seeing past?
Cheers.

Bottling day is going to be rough...

Oh yeah.. but can you imagine the satisfaction of looking at 100 bottles after your hard work?
I'm sure I'm talking myself into having a go at this!

Thanks Bevvied

:hmm: I could do something similar - a 20L partial mash plus extract.

Ooooh! Sounds terrific.
I'm dropping off a couple of bottles of my stout on Monday to my new mate, so can ask any questions if you have any.
I don't know if it was because of his bigger FV, or 4 week fermentation period, but the beers he gave me, had next to nowt sediment in the bottles. I'll have to ask.

Ooooh! Sounds terrific.
I'm dropping off a couple of bottles of my stout on Monday to my new mate, so can ask any questions if you have any.
I don't know if it was because of his bigger FV, or 4 week fermentation period, but the beers he gave me, had next to nowt sediment in the bottles. I'll have to ask.

Yeah, ask. :thumb:

Oh yeah.. but can you imagine the satisfaction of looking at 100 bottles after your hard work?
I'm sure I'm talking myself into having a go at this!

A brew every three months producing 100 bottles. So it's 33 bottles a month, one a day or 4 on a Friday and 4 on a Saturday, that's a really efficient way of brewing. I think you're talking me into this one as well Bevvied.

A brew every three months producing 100 bottles. So it's 33 bottles a month, one a day or 4 on a Friday and 4 on a Saturday, that's a really efficient way of brewing. I think you're talking me into this one as well Bevvied.

I'm seriously thinking about doing it too. The FV Bevvied linked is a bit more than I want to pay though. There was a thread a while back about food grade storage bins/barrels and this looks like it might do the job as an FV. It hasn't got a tap which might be a dealbreaker for some people but I'm fine with syphoning. It a lot cheaper than the one from the home brew shop and free delivery too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AF5GVHQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I notice they even do a 120L one so one brew every six months?

Last edited by a moderator:
My brew lengths are usually in and around 50 litres I still split it between smaller fermenters.

Doh ..hit send by mistake.
My reason for splitting is big vessels kinda hard to move about, definitely something to think about if you have the space/means of temperature control though

Manse put me onto a 100L pot but I'm happy doing 20L brews. Something 60L or 100L would put strain on Sellafield to heat to a slow rolling boil.

I like the idea of a house stout - putting fresh wort into washed yeast saved from my last batch over and over again. I just need to find the perfect recipe!

There's something theraputic about a brew day, I don't think I would like doing batches this size.

Manse put me onto a 100L pot but I'm happy doing 20L brews. Something 60L or 100L would put strain on Sellafield to heat to a slow rolling boil.

I like the idea of a house stout - putting fresh wort into washed yeast saved from my last batch over and over again. I just need to find the perfect recipe!

There's something theraputic about a brew day, I don't think I would like doing batches this size.

You would be surprised Mark i can do double the batches with the gas kit in a very similar timescale to what you are using now..

I split into 2 fermenters for ease of movement it also gives me the choice of using different yeast for comparisons also means i can split bottling/kegging day accordingly.

i did bottle a double batch once ..never again was a real chore..

Have one batch left to bottle , then time so start all over and have a brewday..

whoo hoo..

I've decided to definitely go this route.
One big FV to double up/triple up kits and one small FV as I want to experiment and gain experience with a lot of small 10L AG Brews.
I can certainly see why 100 bottle brews aren't for everyone, but in all honesty, I like bottling. That wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Only downside for me would be the effect all this extra beer is gonna have on my already expanding belly. If it gets any bigger I'm gonna need a wheelbarrow to push it around.

Tbh I dont think the bottling 100 bottles is an issue. You don't have to bottle all in one go. You can do it over more than one day. Just rack 20 or so litres off into a bottling bucket (This a bit easier if your FV has a tap rather than just syphoning it off) and just bottle that much in one session then do another 20 or so the next day (or when you have time) and so on till it's all bottled

Tbh I dont think the bottling 100 bottles is an issue. You don't have to bottle all in one go. You can do it over more than one day. Just rack 20 or so litres off into a bottling bucket (This a bit easier if your FV has a tap rather than just syphoning it off) and just bottle that much in one session then do another 20 or so the next day (or when you have time) and so on till it's all bottled

Exactly.
Even someone with a PHD in cackhandedness could fit a tap to one of those food grade storage tubs, if they wanted.

Good idea, could you add different hop teas to each 20l bottling bucket too before bottling.?

Latest posts

Back