How often do you brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghb

Regular.
Reaction score
I've noticed that my brew days arrive in batches.
I'll do 3 or 4 brews spread over 2 or 3 days then do nowt for about a month
This results in a shed load of beer waiting to get drunk or given away
It's even worst now I've discovered corny kegs (..is 9 too many or should I get more) as bottling days are a thing of the past and if I need bottled beer I use the beer gun..
I've read that some only do about 3 or 4 brews a year
What would be the average yearly capacity of yer home brewer?
how much 'stock' do you have?
how long does it last?
and is there such an organisation as B.A (Brewers anonymous) for those addicted to the smell of freshly boiled wort and the delecate aroma of hops?

I used to brew up to 7/8 at a time, got really lazy as of late and challenging times, however back on the job 25 ltrs to bottle during the week Oh joy, brew day tomorrow :-D

I've had a very barren 12 months or more, brewed every two to three months, due to woman moving in my house and work. But woman has gone, and I leave the job in three weeks, so things are about to change. My problem is that I don't drink enough! But I give spare beer away to mates and family, when I have too much.

Each of my batches, though, tends to be 20-25 litres and they get split into two, three or four different brews in 10L buckets, and demijohns. I do a full size mash and sparge and then split the boil and use different hops, use different yeasts, and sometimes steep some grains separately. So I get variety.

I may have an opportunity to get involved with a brewpub. Fingers crossed. Meeting up with the owner soon, he's looking for help, and ideas for beers. I'd love to have beers I've created and made on tap in a brewpub. And I'd learn all the stuff about using casks and beer engines and all that type-o-ting.

I often have thoughts about going commercial but the idea of paper work and being able to guarantee consistency etc puts me off.
maybe once I can get consistant results i might entertain the notion of brewing full time and selling the stuff.
Over here in France there seems to be an up surge in small breweries and the locals like what I brew....usually
Just last week I had one of the lad's mates ask for a dozen bottles for his dad's birthday, either he likes my beer or he doesn't like his dad.
As it disappears almost as quick as it's brewed my money's on the 1st option.
About the only negative feedback I get is the lack of a lighter option such as a lager or blonde biere The lager I'm working on but it's proving harder than I thought mainly due to a supplier using the wrong malt in their kits ( they've since rectified the problem) which resulted in a very dark brew with a weird taste.
I've got another attempt which is sitting in the cold at present and I'll try it in another week or so
There's also some lager malt coming which I hope to put to good use next month.

Just last week I had one of the lad's mates ask for a dozen bottles for his dad's birthday, either he likes my beer or he doesn't like his dad.

Haha :lol: made me laugh, im sure your ales are just fine :rofl::rofl:

12 brews since starting in december - likely to get another 1 or maybe 2 on before then so thats about every 4 weeks. even the least successful beer has been drinkable

About the only negative feedback I get is the lack of a lighter option such as a lager or blonde biere The lager I'm working on but it's proving harder than I thought mainly due to a supplier using the wrong malt in their kits ( they've since rectified the problem) which resulted in a very dark brew with a weird taste.

You could brew a biere de garde. Should go down well! Style guide and recipe here...

http://byo.com/malt/item/217-biére-de-garde-style-profile

I brew two 10 litre brews per week (Wed & Sun) and try to keep current stock to between 80 & 120 bottles. I get about 16/17 bottles per brew.

If I'm above that, I won't brew that week. If I'm below, I've been known to do two brews in a day. It only adds another hour and a half to the brew day but makes it a little busier.

@Clibit it must have been very distracting having a woman moving in your house and at work. Strong sedation next time? Maybe with AG ?

I assume you are looking forward to three weeks?

I know someone who is selling some industrial size kit if you are interested?

Yeah I started seeing this woman from work last summer, she moved in in September, and work has been crazy cos of ALL THE TORY CUTS TO PUBLIC SERVICES INCLUDING FURTHER EDUCATION WHICH IS BEING DESTROYED AND WHICH I WILL BE PROTESTING ABOUT TOMORROW OUTSIDE THE TORY CONFERENCE! :-)

So I've been made redundant, and I'm pretty relieved to be getting out, it's so stressful in work now. This place has been my escape!

I'm not looking for industrial size kit tbh. I saw a full microbrewery kit on the back of a wagon going down the M6 yesterday, mind, and considered hijacking it. :-)

I wouldn't chuck a load of money at a brewery myself. I don't want to be stuck in a brewery all day every day, churning out the same recipes. This place I'm visiting is a community brewpub with a nanobrewery. I'd love to get involved - but I don't want to invest in it, or rely on it for an income. My aim is to get part time work and keep brewing as a hobby.

I wouldn't chuck a load of money at a brewery myself. I don't want to be stuck in a brewery all day every day, churning out the same recipes. This place I'm visiting is a community brewpub with a nanobrewery. I'd love to get involved - but I don't want to invest in it, or rely on it for an income. My aim is to get part time work and keep brewing as a hobby.

Shame you don't live round my way. Ubrew are still advertising for part time workers and it's only 5 mins walk from the kernal brewer (must pop in there one day after/before buying ingredients at ubrew)

I often have thoughts about going commercial but the idea of paper work and being able to guarantee consistency etc puts me off.

Believe me there are numerous threads about home brewers going commercial on the forums, i cannot remember one in the last couple of years that has made the switch.

I brew sept - may ish and will probably do around one every three weeks, so about 8 or 9. Mostly 10L ish with a couple of 23L to fill PBs. That will give me more beer than I can drink. I made a similar amount last season and still have about 40 bottles left, and that's after giving away about 30 recently, just to get shot of it!

Trouble is I'm just left with teh stuff that was the worst of what I made, a slightly dodgy wheat beer and London Pride 'clone' (it being as far from a clone of LP as I am from Kylie Minogue)

Believe me there are numerous threads about home brewers going commercial on the forums, i cannot remember one in the last couple of years that has made the switch.

The reason I got started home brewing again was because a mate asked me to help him build a 200ltr brewery for his new business venture. He's now been going for about a year and his sales are increasing every week. he's now looking at getting bigger professional kit as he struggles to keep up with demand.
He started with a blonde and an amber beer and now has 6 different brews including an IPA.
there's a right shed load of small breweries around these parts started by people that have moved on from home brewing to commercial brewing and they all seem to be doing quite well

I wasn't saying it isn't possible just that quite a few members have thought about doing it then having found out what a PITA it is they didnt bother.

I wasn't saying it isn't possible just that quite a few members have thought about doing it then having found out what a PITA it is they didnt bother.

I wasn't saying you was saying it was impossible Ah wur only saying I knew of atleast one that had made a success of it. However having seen all the paper work he has to do I don't think I could be r'sd with it all.
If I was to take that big step I'd first need to find someone that enjoys paperwork and all the bureaucracy involved with it. Even filling in a lottery ticket is too much paperwork for me

I wasn't saying you was saying it was impossible Ah wur only saying I knew of atleast one that had made a success of it. However having seen all the paper work he has to do I don't think I could be r'sd with it all.
If I was to take that big step I'd first need to find someone that enjoys paperwork and all the bureaucracy involved with it. Even filling in a lottery ticket is too much paperwork for me

Are you sure your saying you not saying chippy was saying it was impossible? Just saying ;) :lol:

I brew about once every 4-5 weeks so pretty much once a month I stagger drink mine so I always have a variety of drinks rather than brew one and empty that

Back