Tweak my Wherry!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDasherD

Reaction score
A little advice , please, o learned forum members ...

For some time, I have been tweaking a variety kits in a variety of ways. The last Wherry that I played with saw me add 15gms dried elderflowers, the liquid from steeping 300gms crystal malt for an hour, topped up to 21 litres, replacing yeast with Wilko Gervin and dry-hopped with 35gms EKG after a few days. Drinking it now after 3 weeks in the pb I must say I am extremely pleased with the result and, have availed myself of some recent sale prices in Tesco and Wilko, will be repeating this recipe.

My question ... having steeped the crystal malt in 3 litres of water circa 65 - 70 degrees for an hour and then washing the grain with some more water at a similar temperature, should the resulting liquid be boiled If so, for how long and why (ie. what did I lose through not boiling it last time?).

Many thanks in advance :cheers:

A little advice , please, o learned forum members ...

For some time, I have been tweaking a variety kits in a variety of ways. The last Wherry that I played with saw me add 15gms dried elderflowers, the liquid from steeping 300gms crystal malt for an hour, topped up to 21 litres, replacing yeast with Wilko Gervin and dry-hopped with 35gms EKG after a few days. Drinking it now after 3 weeks in the pb I must say I am extremely pleased with the result and, have availed myself of some recent sale prices in Tesco and Wilko, will be repeating this recipe.

My question ... having steeped the crystal malt in 3 litres of water circa 65 - 70 degrees for an hour and then washing the grain with some more water at a similar temperature, should the resulting liquid be boiled If so, for how long and why (ie. what did I lose through not boiling it last time?).

Many thanks in advance :cheers:

The usual advice is to boil any wort obtained from steeping or mashing grains.

This is to be sure to eliminate the bacteria that will be associated with the grain. It's far too late to fret about your last brew, which is probably going to be fine anyway.

Pasteurisation temps are some where between 50 and 60C and so mashing temps of 65-70C are going to be sufficient for homebrewing purposes.

If you are boiling it, then most brewers would add some hops at least. The EKG, for instance, would be roughly as good done as a short boil as they would be as a dry hop.

Latest posts

Back