Recipe suggestion please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirsultankhan

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would like a golden IPA, I have the following,

240g Fuggles,
60g EKG
60g Challenger
50g Bobek
80g Northdown

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.:drunk:

This is based on Greg Hughes English IPA. I've lowered the OG from 1060 to 1050 and bitterness from 60 to 50 IBUs, and used your hops:

English IPA

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 5.0 (EBC): 9.9
Bitterness (IBU): 50.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75

4.750 kg Maris Otter Malt (97.5%)
0.125 kg Crystal 40/60L (80-120 EBC) (2.5%)

25.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
25.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
35.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
35.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
35.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18-20°C with Ale yeast

This is based on Greg Hughes English IPA. I've lowered the OG from 1058 to 1050 and bitterness from 58 to 50 IBUs, and used your hops:

English IPA

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 5.0 (EBC): 9.9
Bitterness (IBU): 50.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75

4.750 kg Maris Otter Malt (97.5%)
0.125 kg Crystal 40/60L (80-120 EBC) (2.5%)

25.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
25.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
35.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
35.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
35.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18-20°C with Ale yeast

Thanks man, but i use no chill method wont those last 35g of Challenger like send the IBUs rocketing. Perhaps there is a way to compensate for this?

Thanks man, but i use no chill method wont those last 35g of Challenger like send the IBUs rocketing. Perhaps there is a way to compensate for this?

Yes. As you know I'm a no-chiller too. What you can do is the next day when your wort is cool is take 3L out and bring it to the boil in a smaller pot for 15 mins then add the challenger at the begining of the boil. Then cool in the sink to 80C and steep the 0min additions for 20 mins then cool it again and add the 3L (strained through a seive to remove the hops) back to the main body of the wort before pitching. This is how I do late additions and works well

If you wait til the wort is down to 80C you won't add bitterness. Alpha acids are not removed at 80C and below.

Another possibility is to add the 15 min addition as a hop tea as I understand hop tea's give flavour and a bit of aroma and dry hopping is the other way around. Although I haven't tried this out yet

If you wait til the wort is down to 80C you won't add bitterness. Alpha acids are not removed at 80C and below.

Sounds like a plan :D Actually when i think of it I have a hop bag that i could use, i could just put the hops in at flame out and leave it for twenty minutes and then take them out. Do you think that would work just the same?

Another possibility is to add the 15 min addition as a hop tea as I understand hop tea's give flavour and a bit of aroma and dry hopping is the other way around. Although I haven't tried this out yet

I have a hop bag that i used to use when i was doing BIAB I could just use that and pull out the hops after twenty minutes

If you put the hops in when the wort is still 100C or close to it, you will extract some bitterness in 20 minutes, but I wouldn't really worry, it won't be that much. Leave them in at 100C for 20 minutes, or wait til it's down to 80C. I tend to put them in at about 90C these days! Compromise.

Most of the hops we use have less alpha acid than it says on the packet, because of age and storage. So we are not getting the IBUs we think we are getting, and a top up from some flame out hops shouldn't worry us. I've only once had a problem, when I put loads of flame out hops in that were about 15% AA, and left the beer to cool overnight. That turned out too bitter - but still mellowed over time into what was a great beer eventually.

If you put the hops in when the wort is still 100C or close to it, you will extract some bitterness in 20 minutes, but I wouldn't really worry, it won't be that much. Leave them in at 100C for 20 minutes, or wait til it's down to 80C. I tend to put them in at about 90C these days! Compromise.

Most of the hops we use have less alpha acid than it says on the packet, because of age and storage. So we are not getting the IBUs we think we are getting, and a top up from some flame out hops shouldn't worry us. I've only once had a problem, when I put loads of flame out hops in that were about 15% AA, and left the beer to cool overnight. That turned out too bitter - but still mellowed over time into what was a great beer eventually.

thanks man, ill let you know how the beer turns out. The best beer I have made so far was TT landlord clone, honestly it was delicious, you could almost taste citrus flavors because of those Syrian Bobek hops. I have learned that I don't really like sweet beers, the Theakstons that I made is too sweet for my palate, i don't know if the original is particularly sweet but mines is a little bit on the sweet side

You could use some Bobek in this recipe, it's a hop I like a lot. Maybe use them for dry hopping instead of Challenger.

Back