WOW Whoops!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordibird

Reaction score
You would've thought I would learn from past experience but no....
I took advantage of the berry availability and collected aprox 2lb each of black and elder. The plan was to add RGJ and start a batch of each off. So, last night I started the blackberry one off they had been soaking in bucket of hot water, I chucked them in pan brought up to boil turned heat off and battered them. When cool I strained the liquid into the DJ made 3ltr, then added 1ltr of RGJ. For some reason I had thought that with the sugar content of the juice plus berries the sugar to add was 400g so I added it.....then stopped....

When I checked the RGJ content again it has a sugar content of 326g per 200ml and numpty here put the full 1 litre in and 400g of sugar....

It's sitting in a DJ at minute with a good fizzy head on already without any yeast....

So I would like to ask you knowledgeable folks on here what would be my best option here?
Do I half the liquid into 2 DJs to make up 2ltrs of syrup in each top up to 4ltrs and carry on adding the other ingredients yeast, nutrient pectolase etc...
Or, tip it down the sink?

Thanks and I will rethink about the elderberries haha.

Could you let us know which brand of RGJ you have as it seems to have a lot of sugar in it, my ASDA RGJ has 16g per 100ml (160g per litre)

Hi Chippy,
I think I better go to Specsavers as I just checked the very small values on the RGJ and it's 32.6 not 326, the decimal point is non existant. It's the Don Simon 100% pressed grape juice. I feel a bit of an idiot now.

Would you recommend adding more sugar now with the pectolase, nutrient, yeast, tea and glycerin and sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

That's the one Chippy, got 2 in Iceland.

Thanks Tony what amount of sugar did you put in? If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers for the help with my madness, think I best stick to the juices from now on and knock the foraging on the head haha

Thanks Chippy and Tony, I probably hit about 1060 with the sugar so not too bad.
Thanks for your recipe as well that's a one to try out.
I will keep you posted on the outcome as it's bubbling away quite happily at the minute

Hi just to let you know that the WOW hybrid has finished I have with great restraint managed to bottle 4 and sampled what was left. The votes from the Swedish Jury are....not bad, in fact not bad at all. It's still a red but a light fruity red not too dry if you know what I mean. It will be a belter if I can manage to stash some away from my little paws for a few month.

Just thought I'd update you on the results. Will also post my next adventures this week.

Ching ching

Latest posts

Back