Where home brew bridges the gap...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just occurred to me and I could be wrong, but it's just struck me tonight, that there's a dirth of 7-8ish percent drinks readily available commercially

Probably a good reason for that you say ! and you're probably right 😃

Happened to be supping a few magners tonight and having run out, wandered to the shed for some 'punch in the chops' a cordial based alcopop type drink I made recently (in the brewdays subforum)...

Jings... it does the trick, think it was 7.5% ish but feels like more than that now haha

Taxation is one of the reasons.

Here in Australia beer and I presume most alcohol is taxed according to how much alcohol there is present in the drink. At least one well known (disgusting) brew went from 4.9 to 4.6 to keep the price down. The poor people who swill the disgusting stuff (my exboss etc) were up in arms. It's now back up to 4.9. Still undrinkable though.

Roddy, showing my age but I bought a house in about 1983. I used to wander up to the local off licence and fill a DJ with cider for 2 quid on a Saturday night. The tax was either added or upped on cider not long after.

oh yeh, that should have been pretty obvious, must have lost a few brain cells last night hehe

Back