Hops & Sugars - Where to Start.... ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irafusha

Reaction score
Hello all...

Just picked up Coopers European Larger kit along with their Brew enhancer 2.

Ive been reading on this forum that some people have added additional hops.

Now, I know this will be very subjective and mainly down to personal taste however this will only be my 2nd brew.

So - Are there any particular hops that only go with Larger kits? or can I use any? recommendations would be appreciated - Thanks

Also, I have seen that people have added 1/2 or 1 teaspoon of brewing sugar OR everyday normal sugar to each bottle... I'll be using 500ml glass bottles. Q: would it be possible to add sugar to the wort before bottling to ensure an equal mix and get better consistency - if so, How much?

Thanks in advance.

J

You could use traditional European lager hops like Saaz, Tettnang or Hallertau. Or American or NZ versions of these like Sterling, Motueka or Wakatu. Or use one of the great American aroma hops like Citra or Amarillo, more fruity than the trad lager hops. I'd say Saaz, or Motueka, or Citra. Depending on whether you want to be traditional, a little different, or very different.

In a lager you want about 7 grams sugar per litre. Make a solution with a little boiled water, add it to a sterilized FV and siphong your beer into it. Give it a gentle stir and leave, covered, while you sterilize your bottles or keg.

You could use traditional European lager hops like Saaz, Tettnang or Hallertau. Or American or NZ versions of these like Sterling, Motueka or Wakatu. Or use one of the great American aroma hops like Citra or Amarillo, more fruity than the trad lager hops. I'd say Saaz, or Motueka, or Citra. Depending on whether you want to traditional, a little different, or very different.

I think in a lager you want about 7 grams sugar per litre. Make a solution with a litre boiled water, add it to a sterilized FV and siphong your beer into it. Give it a gentle stir and leave, covered, while you sterilize your bottles or keg.

Great - thanks for the advice - if anyone as used any of the above on this kit I'd love to hear your feedback

Cheers

J

That should be a little boiled water, not a litre.

If you can get Motueka it would be a great choice. Unless you want a straight European lager, in which case go for the spiciness of Saaz.

I am sure you are probably aware of this but just incase you are not, make sure you keep the temp nice and low around 12-14ºc

I am sure you are probably aware of this but just incase you are not, make sure you keep the temp nice and low around 12-14ºc

Thanks - yeah ive seen a couple of people mention this... gonna do a couple of tests to see where the coolest place in the house is... TBH i think it changes throughout the day (front to back) as the sun passes over us

Do you have a garage. Noticed mine was 12c yesterday but guess it drops during the night.

Ive just been reading the instructions and im pretty confused to be fair...

It says that the larger yeast will ferment at lower temperatures such as 12 and 13 but higher temperature are recommended as lower temperatures will prolong fermentation... So does that mean i ferment at 18-21? but everything I see online suggests lower temperatures...

what am i missing? also when should i add the coopers brew enhansr 2 - just before bottling?

Cheers

J

Higher temperatures = quicker, but more ale like results.

Lower temperature = slower (lagers ARE fermented slowly), but provide a more authentic lager beer.

Lager yeast will ferment at 18C-21C but you don't want it to because:

Lager is a clean crisp beer will little to no off flavours (I'm talking about diacetyl here). All yeast produce diacetyl to some extent or other but it will then reabsorb it during secondry fermentation.

If you ferment at 18C-21C you'll have loads of diacetly which won't be all absobed during secndary fermentation and you wont get that clean crisp beer your looking for in a lager.

as an aside- normally after keeping the beer at 12C for a certain period of time when lagering, (I'd have to google how long) the temp is than raised to do what is known a diacetyl rest to allow the yeast to absorb as much diacetyl as possible. The temp is then taken back tocondition

It says that the larger yeast will ferment at lower temperatures such as 12 and 13 but higher temperature are recommended as lower temperatures will prolong fermentation... So does that mean i ferment at 18-21? but everything I see online suggests lower temperatures...

what am i missing? also when should i add the coopers brew enhansr 2 - just before bottling?

Cheers

J

As per the advice given by other, try and ferment at lower temperatures.

Cheers

J

OK Leon

The brew enhancer goes in at the start, ideally.

If you did not do so, chuck it in now. Try to dissolve it a bit first.

The yeast mix that this comes with this kit is sort of a mixture of yeasts that will get you a lager if you brew at lager temps and one that will get you a decent beer if it is brewed at UK room type temps.

Totally nothing to worry about. Just leave it in the FV for 2 weeks minimum.

Back