Why are kit worts so thick and sticky?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
I'm interested in adding grains to my kits, and eventually going the AG route. I've watched a few instructional videos about mashing and sparging but one thing confuses me. The resultant liquid looks nothing like the wort that comes in kit cans, which has a consistency more like Dulux gloss. So, what's different about the wort found in kits, or is mashing grains messier than the videos make out?

kit wort is super concentrated. wort from grain is much more dilute to start with because of sparging and you normally boil AG wort for around an hour which concentrates it. They should end up about the same in the end as you're diluting a kit and concentrating AG wort.

I make a mess whatever I do.

Pretty much what dad said. When you mash teh grain and sparge you actually have a much larger quantity of liquid than you need but this reduces down during the boil and partially during the cooling stage.

Like dad says the wort is concentrated into a syrup in the can and you can even buy completely dehydrated wort known as dry malt extract or spraymalt.

If you're looking at making a step up from kits why not try an extract brew (usiung plain extract in either liquid or spray form as mentioned above) and steep some specialty grains in. Specialty grains are not a basse malt and are there not to make up the fermentables but to add colour and flavours.. you could try one of the extract brwe kits from thehomebrewcompany for example, they come with everything you need in one packet.

Ah, that's a good idea. I didn't know you had base malts and flavour malts.

Latest posts

Back