Update and questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labowner

Reaction score
Well I started a beer brewing two weeks ago today Smugglers Ale. It never really bubbled even though the wine kit put in at the same time went off like a rocket bubbling away like nobodies business.
The fermenting fridge needs a bit of rejigging as the top is at 20c and the bottom at 23c. Worked out ok as the wine was to sit over 20c and the beer under 20c lol
I was a bit rash and pitched at 24c, however it didn't seem to cause any harm as the gravity was changing and the brew got quite fizzy so I didn't panic too much. The gravity then seemed to stick at 1.020 so as I had been reading James Houstons A complete guide to home brewing I did as it suggested and gave the fv a gentle(ish) swirl 3 times a day and it actually bubbled the airlock for a day :)
Seems to have stopped now at 1.016 for the last two days. With the start being 1.062 and the calculator on brewers friend showing 6.04% and 73% apparent attenuation I think I can safely bottle in a few days if the reading is the same tomorrow.
It tastes gorgeous already any off flavours I detected a couple of days ago appear to have gone and it is now fairly flat.

Questions are do you agree? and if so should I rack into a second fv to mix with the sugar stir and leave overnight to drop any sediment before bottling or should I just mix in the second fv and bottle straight away.

Thanks for reading this seems to have turned into a short novel:doh:

ps: the wine is stable at 0.992 and 11.8%abv need to start degassing it soon.

Well it sounds like its good to go ut how long has it been in the FV for?? I would not bottle until at least 2 weeks..

Personally for bottling I dump the priming solution in the BB, rack into that and leave for 30 mins then crack on bottling.

Well it sounds like its good to go ut how long has it been in the FV for?? I would not bottle until at least 2 weeks..

Personally for bottling I dump the priming solution in the BB, rack into that and leave for 30 mins then crack on bottling.

Two weeks today, 30 mins sounds good. I'd better get the bottles ready tomorrow night for wed morn bottling :)

I agree with the above.. bottle now ish and dont leave the primming charge in the beer any time before bottling, the yeast will just munch on it and it will loose some of its conditioning power..

to sort out the fridge temps bang in a simple PC fan to get the air moving, run off an old power brick/phone charger 24/7 i get 2-3 years life from a 80mm pc fan in my fridge..
wirring is easy black = -ve red +5v yellow +12v, so depending on the voltage of your power brick..
upto and including 5v use black n red wires, 5.5 to 12v black n yellow ;)

be prepared to let it mature once conditioned for 5-6 weeks before you start cracking the bottles and judging the brew ..

Interesting fridge temperatures, to be warmer at top would be expected, but warmer at bottom seems a bit odd. At the moment starting a second brew monitoring temperature of fermentor and fridge air at same level. I have noted on first trial some 1.5 deg C difference between air and brew temperature due to heat given off by fermentation and for first few days could not measure as fridge door left open to keep brew cool.

Clearly to measure needs two sensors and there can be a variation between sensors, I use an old fridge freezer and was considering a second temperature controller and using the freezer compartment as well. So don't want to actually use fridge motor just a heater. Hence careful monitoring. Also need a heater, the one I have is ideal it's a demo underfloor heating tile but unlikely to get another. So need around 10W heater to go under second fermentor.

I thought it odd too, only thing I can think it's there isn't enough space for the air to curriculate properly. I have a 240v panel fan installed. Have a few cheapy temp sensors in there and have swapped them over to make sure it's not that one was reading more wrongly than the other ;)
Going to move the slats on my shelves to open up the air gap at either side and move the fan to blow up through, even thinking of installing a second fan at the upper shelf to make sure the air gets spread throughout.

Latest posts

Back