Gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, about to buy my first CO2 cylinder and these are my options:

'KG Smith & Son 60/40 is a 60% carbon dioxide/40% nitrogen mixture used for dispensing highly carbonated lagers and ciders.

KG Smith & Son 30/70 is a 30% carbon dioxide/70% nitrogen mixture widely used for dispensing a range of stouts and ales.'

Both are the same price and I tend to brew more bitters and pale ales. Which would be the most suitable?

For most bitters and pale ales just CO2 is what you want those will give you a creamy guiness like beer.

Mixed gas require special regulators because it's compressed gas and at a very high pressure in the tank.

CO2 slops around as a liquid and is at far more sensible pressures.

Your beer makes CO2. Adding something else (nitrogen) is quite un-necessary, but is a trick used by defective breweries to fool folk into thinking they are drinking something special. Use CO2 not toxic alien gases (okay, taking this too far now!). Keep looking about, you'll find it cheap enough (I pay £17 for a 6.35kg bottle, and no deposit on the bottle, but I do live in deepest Wales).

Ask in pubs where they get it or if they can ge tit for you. It sounds highly unlikely to me that anywhere would stock the mixed gas and not pure CO2 as all of there customers (I assume 100% pubs and maybe the odd brewery) would want both but if you say your place does I must be missing something.

The Andover Patio centre, Andover. It's not exactly local but their cylinders are �£23 and there's no deposit to pay.

Thanks for that. I've called a couple of places in Southampton and they only sell to acount, so it seems Andover might be the closest option.

Back