ferment finished in 3 days :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinm

Reaction score
I live in the tropics,
pretty much constant temp of about 32 deg C in my outside kitchen.

Just put 80 pints of bitter on and its stopped fermenting after 3 days n 3 nights. i pitched the yeast between 35-40 deg C as i was in a rush n on the way out.

Any of you guys ever had a ferment finished so fast? it tastes bittery, not at all sweet. I could check the SG but have no idea what it should be.
Any advice much appreciated

cheers,

kevin

Three days is typical for the majority of the fermentation to be complete. But 32 is way too hot for most yeasts. What's the yeast?

Thanks Clibit,
I dunno what the yeast was, It came with the kit - "muntons yorkshire bitter"

cheers,
kevin

The kit presumably provided guidance on fermentation temperature? I think it would be a yeast that ideally should be at 18-22 and should not be above 25.

I wouldn't worry about the speed of the fermentation, what I would worry about off flavours from fermenting so warm.

There are however a few yeasts that ok fine at this temp. Mangrove jacks workhorse, Mauribrew 514 are both dry ale yeasts that have an upper limit of 30C/32C. Many Belgian yeasts also have high temp tolerances. Saison yeast only really works at minimum of 26C (and there's no reason why you cant put saison yeast in a bitter for example)

I have an BYO.com article bookmarked detailing warm weather yeasts (as I have no temp control myself) and in it a few liquid yeasts as detailed that can be used in warmer weather. It even mentions one of the WYeast strains that is successfully used in a far east country at 90F. I'm not at home at the mo but will post the link later

WYeast strains that is successfully used in a far east country at 90F
That would be awesome,
Im in SE Asia so would try some of that in futurecheers,
Kevin

WYeast strains that is successfully used in a far east country at 90F
That would be awesome,
Im in SE Asia so would try some of that in futurecheers,
Kevin

Having just done a quick google the article is: http://byo.com/hops/item/1084-make-me-sweat-cool-tips-for-hot-weather-brewing

And the strains is a white labs strain rather than Wyeast, WLP008

"WLP008 (East Coast Ale Yeast) is used by one brewery in Taiwan that consistently ferments at 90F, and they report good beer flavor."

Run your plans by us before you brew. I love your attitude to getting stuff brewed, using grains and hops, but there's a lot to learn and we can help you avoid problems. Like with the yeast, and the grain you use. You've got a very large amount of victory malt there, it's not meant to be used as such a high proportion of the brew. Get some pale malt, you'll mostly use that, with small quantities of other malts like victory, crystal, chocolate, Roast barley, Carapils, Munich, Vienna and others. Do you have good access to yeast, hops and grains?

Latest posts

Back